Skip to main content

Basketball fans ??

The big story last week was about a Missouri basketball player who shoved a fan after the player went into the crowd after a play.  And of course the player is then benched/suspended for several games because he went after a fan physically.  Can't blame the player, if you are getting taunted at by an adult, should be fair game in my mind. 

Since everything is about me, I have story from my high school days that also illustrates how fans try to get under your skin.  I played varsity basketball in Ohio in the early 70's and was on a really good team.   We were warming up at an away game and this place did not have a pep band and the noise level was relatively low.  Usually big ball games have a lot of noise and chaos surrounding them.  This team we were supposed to beat handily and we did eventually.     We were doing our lay up drill, which is done one at time and then you return to the end of the line.  During this drill you are really aware of what is going on around you.   A fan yelled out to me--"I would rather be dead than red on the head" and since I was the only red head on the floor, I guess he was yelling at me.  They next turn when I was near where he yelled, I yelled back  " hey buddy, we can arrange that"  and that was end of that crap from that guy.  A couple of the players got a little chuckle and we proceeded to win. 

Moral of the story-- a really great comeback beats a shove any day.  

I did get some workouts in recently.  I have started doing heavy leg work with the weights and it showed immediately.  I ran last night on a treadmill and I felt great and had great stamina.   I am also at the point I need to start speeding up the treadmill to get my heart rate to 98%.   These are both good things.  I think my weight has maxed out at 203 and I can start to work it down below as it gets closer to outdoor season.  I am ready for Spring!!  I am tired of being cold.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...