Skip to main content

I am still here

I keep forgetting that people like to read my blog and I have been slacking.  My bad.

This 'off season' if you can call it that, I have been doing more long distance running on the treadmill and weights for the legs and upper body. I try to get in some training at least 3 days a week, but no more than 5.  Rest is very important for us old timers.   So far so good.  No real injuries from running. I did have a really sore left hip last week that was self induced.  I wrapped a rope around a very heavy piece of pipe to get it "out of the way" and I moved it OK.  But two days later the top of my hip was really mad and caused me to skip a couple of my running work outs.  Back to normal now.  I ran a mile last night at 8:34 pace on the treadmill and then did some leg weights.  So I think I am healed up. I am staying in pretty good condition and my fitness is good.   I have been slowly inching up the speed on my treadmill runs.  If I do not run at a faster pace, the heart rate struggles to get above the 95% level where I like to finish each cycle if possible.

My project list is 'fixing to' explode in the next couple of weeks.  Linda and I finally got the house refinancing done and cashed out some money to finish the kitchen remodel. I have purchased a auger from the coop to get the rest of the dirt removed from the crawl space so I have access to the wiring and plumbing under the kitchen.  The auger is a huge overkill for this project, but I like a workspace that has room to move freely.  I will hire some help to reroute the gas lines under the house and a lousy crawl space might make getting work done a lot more pricey.   There is also some heating duct work that is not within reach currently and needs attention.  The burrowing animals in the days before we arrived, dug out their burrows and piled up the dirt in the crawl space and eliminated access to a couple of important ducts.  The auger (40 feet) will make getting access to the ducts a much simpler and quicker operation.    And the dirt removed will be useful in leveling the yard.  Certain yard sections are hopelessly unmanaged.

I will be in Atlanta next week for an interview with the US Government to get my Global Entry approval.  This program allows much quicker and simpler border crossing for me  when I travel to Mexico and Canada for work.  My future work schedule will include frequent trips across the border and this program will speed entry to the US by 80 to 90%.  This is huge during Spring Break! Since I will be in ATL, I will stop at the IKEA on the way back and start buying cupboard sections.   Once we get this started, we are off and running on the kitchen.   We will be doing some cupboards, new stove and a hood that carries the smoke outside.  The current hood vents the smoke over your head and the smoke alarm is a huge annoyance when cooking nearly anything.  The smoke deal is a massive downer for both of us.

Later in the month, Linda and I are headed to Aruba for a week of vacation in the sun.  We looked at a lot of different places and the prices are relatively the same in the US or Aruba.  Southwest flies there and that made the choice much simpler.   Many people whom had previously been to the island indicated the locals leave you alone and the dollar is OK for currency.  Plus, it is sunny a lot in the winter with temperatures in the low 80's.  That should be enough to make for a fun week. We are planning on some fishing and since it is a small island, fishing should be pretty simple to do.

After the vacation, it will be time to think garden and yard, an early season race, and off we go again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...