Skip to main content

On The Edge



I ran yesterday outside and ran OK for a couple of 200 at 95%, but it was a little cool for my pansy ass and I finished up at the gym with some slower speed treadmill cycles.  A couple days earlier I ran indoors at the 300 meter Vanderbilt training facility.   I really liked the warmth and lack of wind.  The wind yesterday was from the South, but it is just too much for me to handle--it really messes up my breathing--which is my real weakness.     At Vandy I ran a bunch or 60 and 55 meter repeats and timed them all.   I did some with running and standing starts.  And the start is worth 0.7 seconds standing vs. running.  In these short races, a good start is worth a stride and that is the difference between a medal and nothing.   My times were in the 8's and that would be very competitive at the National level, BUT the 400 and 60 meters are typically stacked on top of each other figuring the same athletes will not do both.  They are correct, you cannot if you want to survive the 400.  I will get a legal time one day, I may have to skip the 400, but I am really curious of how well my speed is matching up to the old geezers in my class.   I really like the short sprints, because the pain inflicted is nothing compared to the longer races I am involved.

I have been actually training as hard as I do in season and we are still in January.  My hope is to avoid injuries from the high amount of work.  Work hard and get stronger and be competitive or take your time and progress much slower,  is always a balancing act you need to manage.  Currently I have no real issues with injuries.  I have actually been running with spikes a couple days a week and no using any KT tape for the plantar on my right foot.  I have not run without tape since the injury 4 or 5 years ago.   I call that real progress.    I have also been much better with my running form and I think the form improvement and stronger lower body has made a difference.   I also use compression calf sleeves every time I run.   I am a firm believer in sleeves and the support they provide. 

The weight is still a struggle, but I want to be around 194 if I can by the time I get to New Mexico.  Christmas is tough with food everywhere and it all tastes wonderful.  The waist line is already under control and it firming up nicely.  I still have a little giggle of fat on the stomach, but I am not sure if that will ever go away--some genetic deal I suppose.   I will continue to train 6 days a week until I get back on the road and then do the best I can.  

I watched some college track at the Arkansas indoor facility, which is a banked track just like the one we will race on in New Mexico.  I have not raced on a banked track and I did pick up quite a few little pointers on how to win your heat.  The racing is quite similar to the old Nascar sling shot off the last corner and beating them down the straight away.  Several  times is the 400, the leader would just weaken slightly  rounding the final curve and the field would cover them.  Strength is paramount in the last 50 meters.  I think I can use some of this race savvy to help my results.  I also looked like a lot of fun.

I will continue to tread on the over training edge and try not to fall.  Easier said than done.  Enjoy this sun shine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...