USATF Tennessee

Last weekend the Tennessee USATF held an event at a local high school and the local talent was out in force really getting it done.   Some the times posted are in the top 5 globally, this season!!!

We ran at Whites Creek High School--home of the Cobras.  The track surface is less than a year old and was fast.   I ran in the 60, 100 and 200 meter events.   I skipped the 400 in this meet to get a time in the other events.   The running order was 60, 400, 100 and if I ran the 400--the other events would suffer.   I really needed to get a time in the 100 and 60 so I could see I how compared in the 60 year old category.   The timing was electronic and my meds change was complete, so it was time to step up and get some legal times in place for this season.  
  • I had never run the 60 meters in competition and I had no comparison.  I ran a very quick 8.29 seconds.  There was not wind indication, but the wind was not a factor at that point of the day.  That time puts me at 93.63% in the World Masters Rankings--or # 2 in the world currently for this 2017 outdoor season.  I will fall back in the rankings as more events are run globally.  But, that time should keep me in top 10 in the USA most of the season.  For the first attempt, I am more than happy--that is a really great time and I need to run it more often!!!
  • In the 100 meters I ran 13.19, which is the fastest time I had achieved as a Masters or Senior Olympian.   I was real proud of that one as well.  That time puts me at 88.71% in the Masters Ranking and that is currently 6 th quick in the world.  Everybody runs the 100, and that time should keep me in the top 25 in the USA all season. That race was a little wet, but the wind was either to the side or a slight tail wind, but it would have been legal if measured.
  • The 200 has a lot of history for me and I can measure results in many ways.   Indoors I ran a 27.71 this season which was 86.61% on the Masters Rankings list and this effort was a 27.99 which was 85.74% on the list.   We did have a pretty strong head wind down the finish straight.   That time makes me currently 15 th globally. This track was laid out with the finish line near the 30 yard line on the football field.  Typically the finish is at the goal line or in the end zone.  Initially I was not real fond of that lay out because it was 'different'.  (Boy is that an experience we all have had).  But the finish line is in essence closer and you do feel like  it can be reached quicker after the corner.  I ran a slower first 1/3 of the race and then accelerated thru the end of the curve and feel good with no strain of any sort at the finish.  I did not have any one that could pace me, so it was a pace I generated.   David Craig who is in the 65 group had kicked my butt in the 60 and 100 and he was a great pace setter for those events.  He nearly fell on the start in the 100 and still had enough top end speed to get me.  He is quick and is also on the SoCal track club roster.   
After you sit back and lay it all out, it was a great  meet for me. Another local athlete-- Lyon Fleming who runs in the 55 group-- had the fastest outdoor 60 meters in the world this season.  He has been injured and it was great to see him put on a show.   He cranked out a 7.59 and backed that up with a 12.42 second 100 meters.  The Tennessee men have a great core group here in Central Tennessee and we should show well in Birmingham this summer.   One of my favorites--George Speros who is 86-- raced in all the sprints and just gives it every lap--that man is still is a warrior and he gets the crowd into each race he enters--George is great for the sport.  He was hurt last summer from a training incident!  You gotta love it.

I ran this meet at 199 pounds which is heavier that I wanted.  But, it is becoming apparent that my new blood pressure medicine and allergy medicine combination is making weight loss tougher.  The old BP med was a diuretic and I think it was allowing me to carry less water.   My legs appear to be carrying more mass and I guess I should embrace the change and move on.  I still want to get below 195 this summer for the National events. 

I will now go to the scoreboard for the last couple of seasons and figure out what events I want to run in the two national events coming up this summer.  These are good problems. 

Next meet is in Nashville May 20 and it is just fun with a lot of kids trashing around on the track.  I will see how my 200/400 combination is working.  See you there if you can make it..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?