Annual Reminder Race

I ran in my annual--you are a sprinter stupid- reminder race on Thanksgiving morning at the Cool Springs mall area.   My gym--Prairie Life Fitness was one of the sponsors this year and it started from their facility.  This change was a huge improvement. I could warm up inside on their track and leave my stuff in a locker and not have to worry.  I travel heavy and with the parking situation--I parked three blocks away--a locker made life much simpler.  

Race morning was clear and frosty and about 3000 runners showed up for the annual fundraiser put on by Grace Works Ministries.  They make a lot on money on this event and they are glad to see you.  The Grace Works staff is very gracious and do say thanks many times during the event.  I am actually glad to help them out.   Organization was very good and this year they added a 10 K event, so a 5K and 10 K were ongoing on slightly different trails at the same time.  The finish line area  was very busy with runners from two directions finishing.

This year the course was very similar, but they started at the old half way point and they did not put out any mileage markers.  Mileage markers are key for me to keep a good pace and with my lack of experience on road courses I struggle to make my time schedule.  I shoot for a 30 minute time and this race I had the same target.   I ran a 31:06 which was 608 overall out of 2453 in the 5K.   That was 11 out of 48 in my 60-64 age group.  Not what I wanted, but I did not get into any distress or cause any harm.  I will take it and move on to the next new thing for me.   Last year I ran a 30:56.   I recovered pretty well, I did pilates the next day with Linda, and had little soreness,   I had been running on the treadmill and had worked on my endurance at a 8:30 mile pace and it seems to help out.  I am still a sprinter, there is no debate on that. 

Next up is the USATF SE Regional indoor meet in Winston-Salem in January.  I will start working on some strength and speed work this week in the gym or Vanderbilt indoor facility. It is really cold this week and the outdoor stuff will need to wait for better weather. 

Linda made a great turkey and trimmings on Thanksgiving.   We had a fun couple come over to help enjoy the feast.   We also hauled out the turntable and played some Tower of Power on vinyl albums.  Their stuff is still very topical after 50 years.   Hopefully you and your yours enjoyed the family, friends and some football. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?