Skip to main content

Indoors in Wisconsin

A couple weeks ago I scheduled a little racing in Racine, Wisconsin at Carthage University field house.  Wisconsin USATF was having an all comers meet and I wanted a final tune up before the USATF Nationals in early March to test my training and get in some live racing. 

Linda and I were originally going to fly into Milwaukee on Friday and race on Sunday and fly home on the Monday morning direct flight.   On Saturday we would visit our grand daughter  and on Sunday watch the Super Bowl with the newlyweds in Milwaukee.   A few days before we were going to leave, Linda had an opportunity to baby sit our grand daughter for the following  week and she decided to take Betty and Linsi up on that offer to watch June all week.    We changed our plans around and drove to Milwaukee instead and Linda would have a vehicle all week to get around.  When we left Nashville it was a nice winter day of 50 degrees and pleasant and just a few hours North it was a very cold wind and we nearly froze getting our first tank of gas!   We had to harden up pretty quick on that trip to survive. I do not miss that nasty crap!!

The racing was very interesting to say the least.    I ran the 55m, 200 meters and high jumped.
  I was trying to get in a 400, but the meet was too compressed on time and there was little  rest time for that monster and I skipped it again.  I had signed up as Jackie Allen--Male-- and they had in the with the women for the races!  I checked the heat sheet after the 55m to see what was going on with the heats and I was in with the Women.  I do not mind running against women, it is actually fun for  me--but they really struggle to keep up and it makes for lousy racing.   When they called for the  55m race, I was still finishing up some high jump attempts and arrived a little late and basically just jumped into the blocks and looked over at two women also getting into their blocks--OK, but a little unusual.   I got a great start ( after the first attempt was a false start) and finished in 8.25 , which is 4 th quick in the world currently.  It was a great pass.   I never saw the women.   My daughter Betty and her wife Linsi made the meet and did some videos and also took some great photos at the meet.

200 m start
In the 200, we had three people in the heat.  A women whom had just run a 68 second 400 M was in lane 6 and I was in lane 4.  Another gentlemen--much older-- was in lane 2 and he was not not going to come into the race mix for us.   This race should be a lot more competitive due the proven speed of the woman outside of me.  We both used blocks and around 80 meters I could see her tire just a bit and I knew that 400 was taking a toll, it had only been 30 minutes tops since she ran.


  Seeing the weakness, I really accelerated into and thru the corner and won by a couple seconds.  The time was slight improvement from Winston-Salem, 29.12 seconds.   I felt strong and finished hard.   I  just need to get out a little quicker to get the time into the 27 and 28's.    My training is coming along and I will continue to work on a March 1 peak.

After the meet,  Betty and Linsi took me to breakfast (we finished around 10:30) at a place called Frank's Diner in Racine.
   The place was jammed and you queued up along the wall for the next seat available.  The place is an old portable diner and had about 16 counter seats and a later addition provided 6 or 8 tables for 4 people each.   We waited about 20 minutes for a table and had a wonderful breakfast of  comfort food.  Frank's slogan is "Order want you want, eat what you get" and the place was hopping.   I just love this joints.  We were finishing up around noon and a waitress with a tray of tequila shots asked if we wanted a shot. Well, heck yea!  Not everyday you get shots with brunch in a diner.   She said they do it every Saturday and Sunday as a tradition and Betty and I took a shot to share with the entire diner as a group.  If you go to Racine--go to Frank's.  It is open for breakfast and lunch and it is just a lot of fun to get fed there. Be hungry, it is a massive plate of food.

That night we got to hang with Audra and Adam and watch the absolute snoozer Super Bowl and the next morning I was flying home and Linda was headed for June's house to hang with the nearly two year grand daughter. Jammed packed weekend in Wisconsin was over.  That afternoon I flew onto Tulsa and worked the week and flew back to Milwaukee to return to Nashville with Linda.  I was in three time zones in one day with the jet and car rides. I was pretty tired the next day to say the least.

I have been doing my big training sessions this week and I am feeling pretty good about my progress.  This is the last hard week and next week I will coast into the meet in Winston-Salem fully charged and ready to race. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...