Skip to main content

Recovery. One More Time

 It has been about 10 weeks since I pinched the nerve in my back causing the muscle control issue in my right quad.   I am seeing my chiro twice a week for treatment and we are gaining on the process--s. l. o. w  l.  y.   I did visit my regular doctor who prescribed some steroids and also discussed some surgery technics.  I took the steroids and was superman for 4 days and but I wrote her a note about the other procedures and told her I would wait for Fall until thinking about that stuff.   I want to run out the chiro work first.   He said it could be up to 9 months for a full recovery and I got the time.   

I am making progress, my lower leg buzzy feeling on my right side is basically gone.   But the quad control is still muted, with an occasional problem with my right leg just giving away for a split second and then I catch myself and keeping on trucking. Those occurrences are becoming less and less.   The chiro has given me permission to do some stretching and also some weight work and also suggested some brisk walks.    This week I have been at the gym and working on my brisk walking on the treadmill and also some cable work for my legs.   I do stretch every other day and I am careful about what position I get the back oriented.   But we are making progress.   I am up to 25 minutes of brisk walking and on Sunday I thought I would test the running.   I put the treadmill on 8 MPH and did three strides and was done.  We are a long long long way from doing that again.  My right leg just did  not want to fire and at best you would call my running style catty wampus.   If we continued, I would have been on the floor. 

When do I get to run again is  the real question for me?? 

But for now, I will start sweating it out on the treadmill and be happy with that progress.   As we get along into this recovery, the other work will commence.  I will have  to toughen up my feet again, get my breathing back again, work on my strength and fitness again, reduce this gut that appeared.     It is just starting over which I have done several times in the last couple years, but I am gladly doing it again.  I like the running and competing--I feel  like I belong to that group and would hate to fall out now due to injury. 

I will be thinking about you all out there racing this summer as I grind out the treadmill and gym work. See you soon! 

  





Comments

  1. Just read your recent posts. Hang in there and be patient. You will recover and be back on the track.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...