EPIC Newton






EPIC Treadmill

OK, we all have run on treadmills and I had an opportunity yesterday to run on an EPIC treadmill.   Hopefully this will be my last time to run on this antique.   I enclosed a picture to let everyone know that it still had power, but that was about it.   The digits for the time, distance and pace were all broken.   The belt made a very constant and loud hum that caused all passersby to glare in the door at the noise--my Nano was drowned out!!  The speed was regulated by pushing  a button that were listed in MPH, but the speed read out --which did work, was in KPH.   OK, I understand both units, but it took some figuring to be correct.  I did figure out that the display in the top middle was a quarter mile lap around the track.   It was kinda correct , but a little iffy on accuracy.   EPIC had the start and finish line at the 50 yard line of the football field, not knowing that it has been near the goaline for a long time now.   I hope this thing dies soon.     I did manage to get in some 800 meter runs, but I was doing a lot of calculating.     One of my favorite feature was the incline device.  You could select 1 to 12 % by pushing buttons.   I thought  I would do some 12% incline at 4 MPH pace to get some heart work.   12% button gets you about 4.5%.  That was all she would raise up.   Undeterred I ran at the 4.5% incline at 6 MPH --I hope.   Please call the junk yard.    I don't think I will stay at this hotel again, just too much junk to overcome.   I got done and was shaking my head looking at my notes, still not sure what had happened.  

I wear a Polar heart monitor for all my running training and the EPIC had the hand held heart beat indicator hand grips.  The EPIC heart rate for me was about 30 beats faster than my max.   Oops--it probably is just out of calibration.    WOW, what a clunker. 

On to something that has a future.    I purchased some Newton Neutral Trainers two weeks ago to give them a try.  One of the running magazines gave them a good review for mid striking runners.  They had distance runners test them.    I have been running with a mid foot strike since coming off the plantar faciitits two years ago and they are designed for my style I use in training. I also like to use neutral if I can, spikes are neutral and that is my race and speed work footwear.   So, I bought a pair to give them a shot.     After 3 sessions,   I like the shoes.  I ran in the them for an entire workout the first time and had no side effects the next day.   They do get you on the front part of the foot.   They are designed in Colorado and I think they are China built, but they are basically components of shoes that are glued together depending on style, size, etc.  They also look great, and the D width fits my narrow foot with out any real issues.   I like sharp colors and they definitely have that going for them .   Usually the girls get the pretty shoes, this company makes sure us diva boys get some pretty shoes as well.   I got them from Zappos and they are pricey, but I have bad feet and they could be a big help.      One pair weighs 21 oz--I weigh all my shoes to make sure I have real number.    I will let you know how they are holding up over time.

I think this the first time I have run on a treadmill where my shoes were worth more than the treadmill that I was using.   Can the government get some legislation that could get the junk equipment out of these hotels?   Runners need the help.    "Cash for junker treadmills" ?   "Cash for aggravating crap.."   etc.

When I get to use good equipment, my work outs have been very good.  I am working towards 3000 meters for the total work out and getting my fitness level to where I can run a 800 meters in 3:15 seconds on a regular basis,   I have started to incorporate some additional stretching and also started to develop some new core exercise routines.   I want to make absolutely sure I prevent any injury situations as the outdoor training approaches.    It is fixin' to get serious.   This is the most comprehensive 400 meter prep training I have done since starting this senior thing and I want it to produce results.    The speed will be there, I just need that hammer off the final corner to put the race out of reach without fading and getting beat.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?