Skip to main content

90 days to Cleveland

Time to get serious about training.    90 days to go is my starting point for speed training.   This is the dangerous part of the training where the injuries happen and you can inflict some real pain on your body--but losing sucks.   I have my weight down to 195 and feel pretty good about that weight.   I think it will  go down a little farther as the speed trainig picks up.

Earlier this week I ran on a treadmill and fought the thing to get a comfortable pace.  I have out grown the threadmill work and I am really ready for the outside stuff.   I will be moving from 800 and 1000 meter controlled runs on the treadmill to the chaos on the track brings.  

So I will be switching to 50 and 100 meter grass runs in bare feet if possible and some down hill runs to stretch the stride a little.  I have agreat place at a park a couple miles from my house.    On track work will be 200 and 400 meters at 70 and 85 percent of my target speeds.  I want to run 27 flat in 200 and 59 in the 400 meters.   These are some brisk work out speeds and we will see how I hold up.  I may only be able to do a few until we get some really hot weather and I can get really loose.    I do need additional weight work for the lower body and core, it seems to help out in the long run.    I will try to run hard 3 days per week and see how well I sustain the work.  

My core has held up well over the winter and I think cutting out a lot of brush has been the best exercise program I have had in years.   If you bend over and pick up stuff 500 times a day, the core gets some real work!   

So, getting to the track is gonna be a priority.     Time to go, wish me luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...