Skip to main content

Life treated me good last week

Somedays life works out and you get to smile all the way through.   I finally had one of those days last week .   I was traveling in the Jacksonville, FL area and had a little bit of time in the late afternoon to get to the beach for a run.  So, I checked into the hotel and got my gear and headed to Jax Beach.   I crossed A1A and pulled right into my parking spot, which was one block from the beach.  Free parking at the beach---that is pure luck !!  Whatever it was, I parked and headed down to the beach.   Low 70's with the usual sea breeze from the South and nice sand and the sun slowly falling behind the condos.   I love it.   I took along a tape measure to measure my stride at various speeds and to make sure my left and right legs were generating the same stride length.  I know it is fussy, but I train alone quite a bit and do not have anyone that can tell me when my stride is goofed up.   

I got warmed up and measured strides at warm up speed, 400 meter speed and max.   The warm up strides are 65 inches, 400 m pace length is 73 inches and max speed is 78 inches or 1.98 meters.    These were measured in the hard sand while wearing my Newton neutral trainers.   So on a hard track with spikes I would expect a little less slippage and would have a  stride length of 2.0 meters at speed. The beach is the only place I have found you can check stride length and eveness.  The left and right are basically the same length, which is one less thing to worry about. 

I ran 4 cycles of 400 meters on the hard sand.   I am not sure of the times, but the heartrate was up to the 160, so I was pushing hard enough.  Good work out--let's eat.    My right foot did hurt some the next day from the soft sand--so I took the day off and it is better two days later.   Now back to work slacker!

I found a local fish house that I did review on Yelp--Beachside Seafood Restaurant and Market.    They had snapper caught that day that I had blackened.  Yummy stuff.   I will definitley go back to that spot next time I get a chance.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...