Skip to main content

Off Season


I am well into my off season for track.   But that does not mean that all physical activity just stops.   I have not trained at all for several weeks and I and feeling pretty good.  My feet are doing fine and I have not worn any KT tape since the District meet in September.   Overall my health is solid and I could train if needed, but I have instead worked on several projects at the Fly Farm to eliminate large quantities of overgrown landscaping and replace it with something that Linda likes and it much easier to maintain. 

The picture is a creation by Linda using mostly our own garden materials and 3 bales of straw we rounded up.  She has been really busy getting Fall flowers in place.  Her knee surgery comes up in 9 days and she wants to have her outdoor landscaping finished.   I have have been planting trees and also removed several yards of dirt that was piled next to a root cellar--aka "Bomb Shelter" or "Dorothy's House"  --so I could park my car on gravel near the house instead of in the yard.  It worked out pretty well.  We actually had some extra flat stone laying nearby and created a little flower bed some some seasonal flowers.  

On the work front, it was very very good week.  My mill activities went well in something that I had no idea what would or could happen, sometimes you just try and see.  I was pleasantly surprised on the success of the chemistry we tried.  Then things good better!!  The patent that I was part of was accepted and will publish by month end!  This is my first attempt at patenting something and it made it.  The patent process was very interesting and you must be relentless to get them through.  Our company uses a patent attorney in the DC area, but you still need to get him the info to fight thru the process.   We were rejected on our first attempt and we had to develop a better argument to get it through successfully. We made it!  That really was an exciting email to get. 

I got a raise!!  Our profitability was high enough to get a merit raise.  It always helps to get an extra 2%.  

On Wednesday we went to the Eagles concert in town.   They are really really good-- they did a 3 hour show.  Not a lot of flash and lights, just great lyrics and fantastic harmony.  The tickets were expensive and worth it!!  They actually did a lot of  story telling  about the music and people in the band,  which makes for a great show.  Then we went Waffle House to eat.  I had been up since 4:00 AM Eastern time and was tired and needed some calories before bed.  Quite a week.  I like the off season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...