Skip to main content

Tennessee Winter Gardening

This winter season  I attempted to keep some veggies going through the cold season  to see what happened.   During the summer, the carrots were not what you would call-nice.   They seemed to be stubby and malformed little creatures more suited for the movies, than the dinner table.   I also did not have much luck with spinach, it would really not respond, even though I did make sure plenty of water was available.  

This fall I tilled the garden up and mounded up some rows and planted several rows of carrots, some spinach and kale.  Kale has a horrible reputation for flavor, but it has many claims of a hardy winter plant- why not give it a shot.   Let's fast forward to November, where it was bitter cold here in the Nashville area,  and everything lived through that cold snap.  I have been picking some kale and spinach for salads and an occasional omelet in November and December.   

Today the weather was warm and I did some tree work around the yard, although it was quite muddy.  I checked the spinach and kale and thought I would pick some before we get the single digit temps predicted this week and possible burn the leaves.  I also checked some of my carrots that I planted in late September and they were perfect.   No more of the stunted malformed crap.  Long slender beauty queens of the Earth to be adored.  Wow, you can garden all winter in Tennessee.  It is January 3, 2015 and I am picking veggies!!  We have plenty of carrots coming along and we should be able to get a salad a week from the garden.
Just for the record, the kale is incredibly delicious.   It is good raw in salads or in soups as well.  Linda included it in a chicken based soup and it was really good, great texture and flavor.  Winter garden is  muddier, it is never really dry, but you have no pest problems and the weeds are all in Florida.  I think I am going to like it more each winter.

I have been getting more active and doing some indoor running.  I am seriously thinking about some indoor competition in Kentucky in February.  That would be something new to me and many of  the 'life' experts are always preaching the  mantra to try something new, regardless of your age.  Maybe this can shut them up for a while.

By the way, Happy 2015 and go Buckeyes and Go Steelers!!!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...