Skip to main content

7000 Feet

 
 I added an APP to my phone that would give the elevation of my current location.   It also gives the pressure and boiling points as well.   As you can see, things are a little different at this elevation
 

I am in Flagstaff, Arizona this week working.   This is my first overnight here and I thought I would do a little training at the Northern Arizona University Lumberjacks stadium. The weather was in the 80's with no clouds in the sky and a light breeze.  I got the stadium around 5 PM and there was a steady stream of people that were coming to the stadium as well.  I asked a couple of people about the crowd, which ended up around 100 people, and  the local running shoe store did a weekly training session to help distance sunning get some speed.  Pretty cool deal.   There was all ages and abilities and they worked out for about an hour as well.  The area has a lot of runners, which speaks well of the level of wealth locally.

I had not been on a track for over a week and I wanted to do some 300 and 400's cycles.  I did a 400 first and the lack of humidity, none in reality, really dried out my mouth as I ran and I thought I was going to absolutely choke to death after the lap.   The dryness is really a big deal for me, and there was enough wind to make me suffer down the finish stretch.   I was also interested in how well I recovered after each cycle.   My fitness recovery was pretty good.  My breathing was labored and did take a little longer to get ready for the next cycle.  My heart rate recovered nicely.  I did a normal workout of 70 minutes and headed out when my right hammie was getting that early twing from the onset of dehydration. Plus the track was crowded enough that clean running line was impossible.   I drank about one liter of water during the training session and had some electrolytes before I ran. 

After the 400, I did just 200 and 300 cycles.  I still got really dry mouth at the end of each and had to drink water right after each cycle, but I could get my heart rate up to 95% of maximum for each cycle.  It is a sad day when I can't even get in a lap without a wet down.  I guess I would need a Camel back to do cycles at this altitude.   Today I feel fine and have no lingering issues.  I can see why Olympians and serious runners train at altitude,  you can do some real work.   When I did my running, even into the wind, the air density is low enough that the resistance from the air is noticeably less.  I can see how sprinters could lay down  great times at altitude.  I noticed the difference, but you pay in the lack of air.   One of the older runners at the track had a shirt that read-- Gaspin'-- and I was that guy.   

Today is rest and I will get in some walking tomorrow.  Stay tuned for some fantastic pictures. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...