Skip to main content

Back to the track


I am always in search of some new gear and I picked up a pair of Nike Zoom Victory 2 spikes.  They scaled in at 4.8 ounces each and are several ounces lighter than my current spikes.  I tried them out tonite and they are wicked fast.  Since my best races start on the curve, I did some curve starts tonight with my blocks. They are really light and they will be great for race day, but they will not be good for training due to the incredibly light fabrics used. There is almost no protection anywhere in the shoe.  They are all about speed and I will have to careful not to use them much in training.
I ran on grass two nights ago.   During my warm up and stretching I almost quit.  Some feeling of aimlessness came over me and I almost packed up and went home.  Man, that would have been stupid, but the thought went through my head.  Where does that stuff come from ?  I had a pretty good work out, running with my parachute on some short sprints.
 Tonight was 200 meters from blocks  at 90%,  100 meter curve starts from blocks,
 stadium steps and some tempo work.     I also did some recruiting for the Senior Games.  A man who turns out to be 50 was doing some laps on the football field and he asked me if I was involved in USATF?  We got into a discussion about my current racing and I encouraged him to check out the local Senior Games and give track a try again. Hopefully he can make an event and get hooked like the rest of us old speedsters.

William Yelverton who lives near Chatanooga, won a Bronze in the World Championship this week in the 200 meters in Lyon, France.  He is 55 years old and also has the quick time in the quarterfinal heat of the 400.  Hopefully,  William can bring some Gold to Tennessee!!   Currently there is some really fast old timers in Tennessee .  Go get em William!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...