Skip to main content

Birthday Blog

Today is my birthday, I am now 57 years old.   I appears that I will spend most of the day indoors, it is raining quite hard and windy as well.  

So for starters  today we are watching yesterday's USA women's curling Olympic qualifier on DVR.    Linda and I both enjoy the matches.  There is a lot of shot making and strategy the whole way through.   And this winter we will get to see the Sochi Olympics curling this winter. There will be a lot of people yelling "hard" in various languages. Hopefully we send a team that can medal.

Linda is recovering at a rapid pace from knee replacement.  She is fixing breakfast today and is also baking a cake!!! Yum.  She is making a German chocolate this year.  Yesterday we went to a wedding and she was able to make it about 2 hours before the pain from the knee and aggravation from the wedding party was enough.  She is gaining every day in strength and stamina.  This last week, the staples were removed and she began riding in the car in a normal upright position.   The blood thinners are done this week--they really cramp your style.    Everyday she makes progress towards a normal daily life.  

I am still in my off season and not going to the gym, but I have been building some fence and other jobs around the place that involve digging holes and moving dirt around.  But, I will be starting some work out stuff soon.     This is typically the time of year I will gain 5 to 10 pounds and I am going to see if I can limit the gain a little this year with some more activity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...