Skip to main content

Good Bye Miami

Linda and I just finished a week in South Beach for a trade show I attend every other year in Miami Beach-- Tissue World is the show.   Anybody that is involved in the manufacturing of tissue paper or paper towel is there trying to get a bigger piece of the action.   I was working some old relationships  and trying to get some new stuff going and I think overall I was effective in promoting my product lines.  This is the last time we are going to be in South Beach.  In the Spring of 2016 the show will be held in New Orleans.   

Changing to New Orleans is not something that I happy about.   I like the warm weather and beach in Miami.   I can run on the beach and enjoy some nice warm weather.   The day this picture was taken, by Linda, we were on beach the in the early morning getting in some running for me and walking for her.  I don't think running will be much of an option in New Orleans.  Hopefully it rains hard a couple of times after Mardi Gras before we arrive to give the sidewalks down town a good washing--otherwise I expect the urine odor to dominant the French Quarter.   I think the food will be good, but it will not be as international as Miami, the English language is not very common in Miami and that always makes for fun in getting around the city.    I saw several Rolls Royces, Bentleys, Porsches, Maseratis, Lamboughinis and various other exotics in Miami and I know they will not be as prevalent in the Big Easy.  It is always fun to see and hear  the rich boy toys. 

One of my early mentors in the tissue business died last week after a 19 year battle with cancer.  Sam Archer of my competitor --Nalco--  and past employer finally was taken.  He was one of the most optimistic and truly good  people you meet in a lifetime.   I started working with him when he was first diagnosed with some type of internal cancer and was given the "6 months" to live story.  He made it 19 years packed with energy, activity and life.  I will miss him, as well a lot of people who were touched by his life.  I will have some great memories of him and he did really help me get a great start in the business of making the tissue machine Yankee dryer your friend. God Bless you Sam.

As I mentioned, I did run on the beach.  I ran in the hard pack and got some good speed work.  I could not run near the water,  Miami it is not like in Jacksonville or Daytona where they have a wide hard beach to run.  In Miami it was soft and narrow and impossible to get any good footing.  So I ran in the hard pack and enjoyed the weather.  There was a LOT of runners in the morning and it was an interesting mix of speed and abilities.  You are not lonely on that beach at sun rise. 

Good bye Miami, we make get to see you sometime again in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...