Skip to main content

Really !!!

Sometimes you have to just have to shake your head or better yet, listen to your wife basically blow material out her nose when precious gem moments occur.    We were going to have a couple over to play some cards, tell stories and eat some Gus's World Famous Chicken last weekend.   Since chicken is slow to cook, I ordered ahead-- 2 dozen wings and a pint of cole slaw. Perfect for a party of four.   Pretty simple  ?? Nope,  it was not that easy.  I turns out that the chicken place did not have any containers that held a pint of slaw-- just 16 ounces!  I repeated this over the phone and Linda overhead it from 20 feet away and something had to have been projected out her nose when she let out some sort of snort.  I couldn't laugh or it would have spoiled the moment.   I said, just give the 16 ounce container and we would be fine.  Whew, got away with that brush with weak math skills. 

I asked Linda if I did OK by not getting into the conversions or better yet asking for the half liter or 500 milliliter container.  She agreed that I ordered correctly--but since forever,  16 oz and a pint have been the same quantity.   Sometimes you don't expect the real gems of life, this was definitely one of the them.  Linda and I, as well our guests,  got a pretty good laugh over the container situation. 

I have been a little on the sickly side the last couple of days and have cold like symptoms or an actual cold.  I am anxious to run outside, but the weather has been totally uncooperative.  I should be able to go in a couple more days.   I have not been doing any training this week.

I purchased a Nike energy band measuring devices a couple weeks ago.  It measures your movement and calculates step, calories, etc.   The band will bluetooth to your phone and computer to give you a graph of your daily energy burn.  It has been informative, but I am not sure how the info will be helpful in my training.   I have discovered, when I run the chainsaw, I have my biggest energy burn days.  Might be something to this brush cutting stuff.

Remember all fans of food:    a 16 ounce conatiner can also be a pint container as well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...