Just another Saturday

Today the Greater Nashville Sr Olympians met at a track near the Cumberland River to run our district qualifier for the State Finals in 2015.    Very nice day to run, sunny with very little wind and pleasant temperatures, nice.  There was a heavy dew still on the soccer field in the center of the track, so I, like every one else warmed up on the syntethic track.   I got a really good, warm up and was ready for the 9:00 AM start with the 100 m dash.   I felt about as good as I felt in weeks-- the gout medical has been pretty effective.    They were getting the heats arranged when the meet was suddenly called off!!  There is a juvenile detention center close by and there have been an incident of several inmates ( I guess that is what they are called) overpowered a guard and one got loose.  So, they meet was cancelled for our safety.   We would all qualify for the events we were entered in, so no harm no foul.   This is similar to the flood year, you are all in, meet cancelled.   I doubt if a young buck could have done much to our group of antiques, he would have been pretty obvious in this flock of gray hairs.  Hopefully,  they got the situation under control and the escapee was rounded up safely.  

I visited a doctor last week, and had my blood checked for uric acid and the level was high enough to need to be medicated to get it under control.  The kidneys were fine, which is really good news for gout sufferers.   I am taking various medicines to control the gout and I have made some changes in my diet to see if I can get the uric acid content under control.   I get rechecked in 3 more weeks and my diet will be in flux for the next several months as I experiment with different foods and see how my body responds.  I have some history in my family of gout, I know my great grand father was effected, he lived to be 92 and had it for many years, and I am sure there were others.  

Diet changes in the short term include-- no alcohol of any type, no bacon or ham, no beef,  milk in coffee instead of cream. Nothing with corn sugar -high fructose corn syrup.  Linda and I basically got HFCS out of the diet several years ago, but when you travel, the stuff is every where--ketchup is the worst for it.   More cottage cheese, greek yogurt, egg protein and powdered protein supplements.   Limit meat amounts to much smaller portions. Drink a lot more water.

Training is going to be rather limited as well in the next few months.   We started the kitchen project last weekend and it will require a substantial amount of energy to complete.  The really dirty stuff is done,  and next we will start adding new wood and getting some form to the project.   We ordered some lights today and are working on getting a door and and some backsplash rounded up. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?