Turkey Trot

Thursday morning I am involved in a 5K at the local mall.  Race starts at 8:00 AM and I think we do a couple of laps around the Cool Springs Mall.  The weather should be decent , mid forties at race time.   I have been doing some pace training at 8:41 per mile pace on the treadmill.   I think I can beat 30 minutes or at least I will give it a shot.   We will see. 

I noticed a little twinge in my left heal today while stretching and I am betting that the plantar fascia is coming loose from the heal.  I damaged the right foot PF a couple of years ago and it appears that the left one is following suit.  I will start taping up both feet in the mean time and see if I can head it off before I do any big damage.  I do not feel any pain while running at my 5K pace and I will be resting the next 6 weeks after this race--my annual outage.  

Linda and I visited our youngest in Austin, Texas over the weekend and had a great time.  A very nice couple we met in Nashville--whom have relocated to Phoenix-- also met us there for some visitation and card playing.   Rosemary was involved in a city wide art open house where all the artists, which is over 500 studios,  had open houses for two weekends.   We visited her studio and toured some other studios and enjoyed the local slant on the art world.   There is a very vibrate world of art in Austin.  If you need some art, Austin can supply whatever you need.  Rosemary is doing well and sold a couple of pieces and also got a commission to do a hippo for a winery.   Rosemary is currently doing a lot of big animals in her work and the hippo fits right into the current work. 
l
The Meyers, whom we hung with for part of each day, are doing well in Phoenix and we played some Euchre and also did some serious eating. Linda and I were headed to lunch on Sunday and were following the GPS map and drove past Franklin Barbeque.  Franklin BBQ is quite famous and was on some credit card commercials last year.  Typically the customers line up hours before it opens and keep coming until they run out.  They do run out each day--it is a big deal to get into this place.  We recognized the sign as we drove past and there was NO LINE outside!!!! We looked at each other and asked, what the heck?? We turned around and parked close by and headed toward the door.  The only questions would be, are they out?? it was about 2:30 PM.  We opened the door and we were in business. Oh the aroma...... About 18 people were ahead and we were going to get some BBQ at Franklin..... ( bounce on your toes for your reaction).  We got to the counter and explained we were rookies and the man with the knife said he would get a sampler.  He put 3 sausages, a pound of pulled pork,  a pound of sliced brisket and some potato salad, beans and slaw in paper containers and slapped it on a plastic tray.   I got a Mexican Coke--which is better than the US crap.  All this for $18, are you nuts??   

We got fed as well as about 20 people that we in line behind us.  The brisket is juicy and about as good as you could ever image.  Yum.  The remainder of the stuff was surpassed by our local BBQ, but the brisket was incredible.  So, we had lunch and got some pictures by the sign.   Sometimes you get lucky and we sure did that day!!  By the way, we were going to meet for dinner in another 90 minutes.  I ate my fill at Franklin's and was going to worry later about the next meal.  I had some coffee and ice cream at dinner and it all worked out fine.

Our new wood stove is coming in handy, the living room is very toasty now days.  And it gives me an excuse to get out in the late day sun and wrestle wood around. The stove was a great addition. 

Linda and I have lived here for 3 years now and we looked into refinancing the house in recent weeks.  With the change in local house prices, we wanted to get some equity out and finish the kitchen and get the garage started.  The appraisal improved our value over 20 percent and we will be will positioned to get the kitchen done in 2016!!!   I love when real estate pays, many time it does not, you are basically a renter.  But this area appears to be a solid investment... and we will be getting a mortgage soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?