Mental Race Prep



State Record in HJ
I wanted to add some thoughts I have on some of recent success in my racing as I have transitioned from Senior Games into the USATF competitions.  The mental side of performance is the where the difference really  exists between participants.  The mental strength in the last two seasons of racing is where I have began to excel.  Sounds a little boastful by all midwestern standards of decorum.  It is not that I am talking trash, just making the results… pretty simple.

 

Do you want to excel and do you have the mind set to perform?  Can your body delivery when you make the call? These are questions we handle in many situations during life and in particular competitions.   Physical prep is also important,  but I have seen really good athletes just fail because their minds were not right--it happens every week in college and pro football. 
 

5 Golds in 5 Events
 Early this season I have run three  400 meters events in race conditions.  Two were around 66 seconds and the third was 65.5.  These speeds are not acceptable in the world where I want to race this summer. My  last race was 63.52 , which is where I want to be time wise.  That result was produced while running virtually on an empty track, I was leading by 18  seconds at the finish.  My training was no different, no more physical prep was done.  So how can you cut 2 seconds off your premier race event?  You use your mind in the proper way…think it through and deliver the result.  My mental prep was about as good as it has ever been.  I was ready physically, even though I was recovering from an iffy calf muscle.   I was tuned in to what I wanted and was not going to screw this race up.   Deliver like the stars of the sport.   The bigger the stage and more the pressure, the stars make it happen and in that sense I am developing some star qualities in this track and field world.  Shut up and race it…. Show us what you got......

 

What do you do to get your mind into the place where the desired performance can be produced?  The answer is not simple, but a process and system evolves over time,  where the past failures are eliminated and attainable results take their place in your mind.  You  develop  real targets that you know are possible and make your brain accept  your expectations. You also need to leave some room for surprises.  Don’t make your goal so crazy that you will miss it and are  bummed with a fantastic result.    Achievement is what you need and want.   

   What kind of voodoo is that?  I don’t know, but it works in my head.   After years of competition at all levels of Master Track in the US, I have found my niche so to speak and know where I can excel and what events  to avoid.  You also need a support team-Linda, Kaylee , Geoff and other racers that keep you physically in the game and also talk you off the ledge if needed.   But, the mind is where the difference ultimately exists.   Can you make your body endure the pain to win, is it worth it? I have begun to understand these elements of competition and one day I want to compete at the International level and test those waters.   I would really like to wear the US colors and represent.

 My next mind trick will be a 5 miler in Gladstone, MI on July 4.  The weather has bound to be better than the last couple of races.  How can I get a happy result, even though I am completely out of my running and racing  element?  I think beating 60 minutes would be a very successful result.  Do some walking and running and watch the clock.  Let’s see how this plays out, stay tuned .  

I have also bought some toys to work on some new skills.   
As I age in my age class I want to try some pentathlon at the indoor  and outdoor meets.  AND, I have something to work on all winter when it is too cold or messy to run.  I have already been flinging the spear in my yard and the other throwing will follow shortly.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

District Qualifier