I can't really think of a title??

The state meet is fast approaching and I am working on getting my body ready for a two day meet.  This week I ran two days in a row at a very nice high school track in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.  The football field is brand new sports turf and the track is a very nice synthetic that is open to the public.    On day one, I worked on the first speed work of the season, I did several 50 meters sprints at 95% with spikes and spikeless running shoes.  After the 8th one, the right hammie was starting to whine and that was that.  The next day, I ran on the field at 80% to make sure the hammie got some work but was not too mad.    I worked hard on stretching keep the legs as loose as possible.   For the first part of the workout I did run barefoot which is always  a thrill.   The new turf was a little too prickly and I had to get the shoes back on. 

Day three I rested and traveled home and will work out today, which will be day four.  I am going to run on the track at Ravenwood and get in some 200 meter work and continue to get the heart/lungs ready.   The  legs are sore, but not like in high school when the first week of basketball or track practice really beats you up.  The first week of those practices, it was impossible to do anything without pain.  Don't miss that at all. 

Currently, I have no injuries and I think that is due to waiting on the hard training to late in the process.   This is the latest I have started the speed work, hopefully it works out fine.

In other news,  the garden is doing wonderful with the frequent watering.   BUT, we have had some groundhogs trying to mess it up for everyone.  Two small ones were messing around and I worked on them with the 22 rifle and the neighbor dog got at least one of them.  Way to go Shooter!!  I don't know if I hit them, but they have not been back.   A very large groundhog has move in underneath our storage shed and I gotta get him out of there.  He will be too close to the garden.  Groundhogs love beans and so do Linda.  Linda has already started her strategy to get rid of it.   I did get a shot at it yesterday, but the heat is definitely on. 

Linda and I made it up to Indy last weekend for the Indy 500.  Another fantastic race and we had a lot of fun.  We spent two nights in town and got to hang around downtown and try some of the local attractions.  Linda's favorite --Dario has retired after a nasty crash last year-- and she was rooting for Helio and he finished a very very close second.  I was rooting for Marco and he finished third and was in the mix all day.  Our rooting favorites were right there at the end, but an American did manage to win it for a change.  Our other favorite--Tony Kanaan-- got knocked out by a bad pit stop and strategy.  He ran out of fuel coming into the pits on the second stop and  crew manage to break the transmission trying to get the car started.  That cost him 17 laps to get the repair done and he ran the rest of the race, but never had a shot to win.   That was the 98th running and we will probably try to do 99 and 100 as well.  It is one heck of a show. 
We did see Jim Nabors last "Back Home in Indiana" rendition. He can still bring it!! He is retiring after 42 years of performing at Indy.  I got some pictures of the card section they did in his honor, but left the camera at the track.  Getting it back is not likely. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?