Skip to main content

Summertime

                                 

This weekend,  I did the final connections for the new irrigation system that will supply creek water to the gardens and yard this summer.   As the picture demonstrates, it is a long way up the hill to the house, and the digging was an adventure due to rock and limestone shelves that hinder any efficient trenching.   But, it is all done except for the backfilling.   My old trailer that I used to move dirt and debris around, has finally died and when my new trailer gets to the dealer, I can pick it up and finish the job.  I am using some old roadway dirt/stone to backfill and using the nice silt from the trench that is displaced to improve some yard up in front of the house. 

   I am getting closer and closer to be a snobby yard person.  A lot of trees and unwanted yard stuff has been removed and we finally can have a nice yard space.  I now have a very low cost water supply and can irrigate to my heart's content get some nice green grass.      

We have had no more beaver scares and we are thankful.  Our little beaver drive must have worked pretty good.   The trees are all quite thankful as well. 

Last week I was in NE Florida and had a chance to run the beach.   The weather was nearly perfect and I had two great session on the beach in St Augustine.  The beach was hard packed sand (mostly) but had a few degrees of incline which was not that bad but did stress the upper leg a little more.   I ran for about 45 minutes for each session and did some 45 to 60 second cylcles to get my heart rate to 95% each time.   I felt great and it so much fun to play in the sand.  I did have the time the first day to get into the water.   The water was a little cooler than I like, but it was quick pool bath none the less.  

I have a couple of overnights this week and will get started on some speed work.  It is 40 days until I need some speed at the State meet.  I will get on the track for the first time this session and do some time work on the 200 meters to check out my strength and endurance.  The strength should be fine from all the trenching.   Endurance will be the issue, I will let you know how it goes.   I have really worked hard at not training too hard this year and I hope that pays off with reduced injuries.  So far, so good.

As the training starts to ramp up, I will be creating more entries to chart the progress.  Stay tuned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...