7000 Feet

 
 I added an APP to my phone that would give the elevation of my current location.   It also gives the pressure and boiling points as well.   As you can see, things are a little different at this elevation
 

I am in Flagstaff, Arizona this week working.   This is my first overnight here and I thought I would do a little training at the Northern Arizona University Lumberjacks stadium. The weather was in the 80's with no clouds in the sky and a light breeze.  I got the stadium around 5 PM and there was a steady stream of people that were coming to the stadium as well.  I asked a couple of people about the crowd, which ended up around 100 people, and  the local running shoe store did a weekly training session to help distance sunning get some speed.  Pretty cool deal.   There was all ages and abilities and they worked out for about an hour as well.  The area has a lot of runners, which speaks well of the level of wealth locally.

I had not been on a track for over a week and I wanted to do some 300 and 400's cycles.  I did a 400 first and the lack of humidity, none in reality, really dried out my mouth as I ran and I thought I was going to absolutely choke to death after the lap.   The dryness is really a big deal for me, and there was enough wind to make me suffer down the finish stretch.   I was also interested in how well I recovered after each cycle.   My fitness recovery was pretty good.  My breathing was labored and did take a little longer to get ready for the next cycle.  My heart rate recovered nicely.  I did a normal workout of 70 minutes and headed out when my right hammie was getting that early twing from the onset of dehydration. Plus the track was crowded enough that clean running line was impossible.   I drank about one liter of water during the training session and had some electrolytes before I ran. 

After the 400, I did just 200 and 300 cycles.  I still got really dry mouth at the end of each and had to drink water right after each cycle, but I could get my heart rate up to 95% of maximum for each cycle.  It is a sad day when I can't even get in a lap without a wet down.  I guess I would need a Camel back to do cycles at this altitude.   Today I feel fine and have no lingering issues.  I can see why Olympians and serious runners train at altitude,  you can do some real work.   When I did my running, even into the wind, the air density is low enough that the resistance from the air is noticeably less.  I can see how sprinters could lay down  great times at altitude.  I noticed the difference, but you pay in the lack of air.   One of the older runners at the track had a shirt that read-- Gaspin'-- and I was that guy.   

Today is rest and I will get in some walking tomorrow.  Stay tuned for some fantastic pictures. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?