Skip to main content

Oregon





 
 
 
I made a trip to Oregon this week and stayed in Eugene a couple of nights--that only means one thing to me--Hayward Field.    I did not get to run on the track this trip, it was only open in the morning the day I had a chance to work out.  I checked the track out in the morning and it was open and busy with runners, but in the afternoon when I returned to do my work out--it was locked up.   U of O has a lot of very nice field right behind the track for intramural soccer (4) and also a warm up track that is square and 3 lanes wide. I think it is used for events at Hayward Field when they hold the meets. 
 
Running conditions were about as good as you can imagine.  No clouds anywhere, 85 degrees, breezy and humidity under 30% !!!!  The lack of humidity was very noticeable the entire trip.   As soon as the door opened in Nashville, that blast of wet air reminded rather quickly about living in the South.  
 
 I wandered around the back  of Hayward and ran some parachutes on the soccer field with some law students who were back in school already.  The duckling are not in school yet, so the fields were relatively empty.   It is very apparent that Mr. Knight--aka Nike, has spend a lot of money on the campus.  All the fields are very modern and well kept.  Since the NW is know for great growing conditions, I was surprised that all the fields were artificial surfaces.  But, if you look at the bigger picture, you do not need to line the fields or water them.  It was the dry season in Oregon and any grass not getting watered was brown and dead.  There was also a lot of dust in the air from the farming activity and wind from the West.   In this season, keeping these fields ready would be very time consuming and expensive in terms of labor and water. Interestingly,  I was traveling to a mill located in Linn County.  Linn County is known as the 'Grass Seed Capital of the World'.  Somehow there is a misalignment somewhere in this situation.   The grass seed fields were basically brown and dead unless they were getting irrigated. 
 
I also visited one of the kids who just moved to Portland and got to hang with he and his girlfriend who was in town on a little vacation.  That is one of great perks of the traveling, seeing the babies when I get into their neck of the woods.   Portland is treating him well and it appears the change from Milwaukee to Portland is for the better.  The Left Coast as it is aptly named,  is a different pace than Milwaukee, with a lot less emphasis on keeping warm and dug out in the winter.  This area seems to embrace Mother  Nature and go a little more with what she in mind and not fighting for survival 6 months of the year.
 
I still have one more meet in a few weeks and I will continue to train thru the Greater Nashville qualifier.  After that race, I probably start to prep for the USATF indoor Master meet in 2017. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...