Meet prep

Greater Nashville qualifier meet is coming up and it will be next weekend at Brentwood High School on Sept 16. I have been doing some training with Lyon Fleming as he recovers from a nasty heel injury.  He is getting up to speed pretty quickly and actually looking at doing the 400 as part of his sprint racing.  Taking on the 400 is just crazy in my opinion, but he is actually doing pretty well.  He ran a 67 second 400 the other morning and I think he should be very competitive in the younger man's group --55 to 59.    He is going to do fine. 

I have been running about every other day with a lot more weight training this cycle.  My weight is around 194 and I am actually feeling some gains at the lower weight.   My recovery for the 400 meters is much better now when training.  I have actually done a lot more 400's as part of my training this summer.  I recovered so poorly in the past, I basically avoided any 400 meter work.  I can run several under 90 seconds in the same session.   I feel a little better on the track and I actually stay on my toes longer during my work outs. Last night I ran at the Raptors track and started out with 1200 meters.   I think my fitness is fine.  I have been wearing a little different shoe design--Saucony Ride 9 which are very soft--I love soft shoes--and still weight in at 11 ounces each.  The shoes should take some of the credit, because I have had very little foot pain and I have actually run with minimal taping of my feet, which is a huge change for me.  The only nagging issue is a sore left butt cheek and I will blame that running a little too hard at the track in recent weeks. I have a massage today, I will get my therapist to work on the sore butt.

 I will train the best I can this week end, we are out of town for a wedding,  and see how things go next weekend.  I feel great.

 
 
 
I included a picture from last weekend's annual chili cook.  I like to stock pile chili in the freezer for football season or days when you just need to have something warm in your belly and not want to do any cooking.   This season I used a lot of peppers and onions from the garden--shown-- and added some black beans, ground turkey and spicy Italian sausage.  I also used up the last of our canned tomatoes.  The chili is yummy with just enough heat to keep your attention, but perfect with some melted cheese on top.   The new stove made the chili cook a breeze, the griddle makes this sort of frying really easy and you can really keep an eye on your work.  Plus it looks really appetizing!
 
The final countdown is starting for the knee replacement for Linda in 3 weeks.   I got a flu shot yesterday to make sure I do not bring anything nasty home to mess up the recovery.  The primary care giver does not need a 103 fever while helping his wife get back on her feet!!  She is finishing up the final paperwork for the doctors and insurance companies to comb through and we will be getting the recovery supplies rounded up.  Canes, walkers, wound care.....   Hopefully we get a great recovery like we did for the left side!
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?