That Was Fun !!

Saturday was the Greater Nashville Qualifier race for the Tennessee State Finals next summer.   It was probably one of my best meets.   The competition was not the best, but there was plenty of incentive to put up some fast times and I did get in one really good race that was incredibly satisfying to win!  And winning a great race is what the sport part of this is all about.  This is racing in the most basic form. 

Saturday started as a very nice day at Brentwood High School track.  A light wind out of the South and that is great for sprinters,  a tail wind down the finish straight--my favorite wind when racing.  But right after that race, the rain started and it kept coming down for the rest of the running events.  We were lucky that we did not get a storm with lightning, just rain and everything  was soaking wet.  I do not get to run in the rain much, but it happens and you race through it the best you can.  It started to rain hard right around the 200 meters race, and I just looked at the situation and thought I am going to be wet, and just embraced the wet.  Linda was in the stands doing a lot less embracing and I cannot blame her, it was a horrible spectator day.  I had on gear that would not carry much water and I raced through the rain without any problems.  I did add a hat so I could keep the water out of my eyes. 

My first race was the 100 meters and I was stunned at the time I posted.  It was a new personal best for me in the senior games--13.20 seconds.   It was hand timed by three people and the two times that I trust were a 13.19 and 13.10 with the official timer getting a 13.4.   The official timers struggled all day--more on that later.   But, the time was legitimate in my mind.  Did I go for a record?  No.   I just got a decent start and worked on my speed with a little pick up at the end--trying to play Olympian racer like on TV where they pull away with at the finish.  But I felt great and did not really strain it, and that may be the biggest help.  It was also the only dry race for the day.  13.2 is the All American Standard for 60-64 year old men in USATF competition.  I will be 60 in 8 weeks.  That time would put me in the top 20 in the US this year!  I may need to start running the 100 more, it appears to be coming to me now.   What was different?  I am lighter by 6 pounds that my previous race and I have worked harder on the track part of my training. I have also been doing some training with Lyon Fleming who has been very helpful in getting me on the track with someone else that is very fast.

The next race was the 200 meters and it was raining hard at this point.  I just wanted to get in a good run and ran a 28.5 seconds unchallenged and feel really good.  No tie up or lactic at the end--just like it is supposed to be.   That time would be in the top 30 this year for 60-64 group.  Another good race.

Next up was the 50 meters and it was still wet, but the rain had slacked off some.  There was two heats and I was in the second heat.   I got a good start and was passed on the left at 15 meters and just mashed the gas and won going away at 7.20 seconds.  I am not sure about the time, just a little quick for me.  The heat before had a guy at 7.09 and 7 flat I think!  The 7.09 time almost fell on the start and maybe broke 8 seconds in real life.  Who knows, but I finished officially in third.  At this point, the starter could not use the gun because it was too wet to fire and he would yell 'bang' into the radio at the start and we would take off and the timers would click the watches.  I have no idea who won that race or what the times were.  I felt good and that is what I wanted. 
Racing in the rain


 
The final race was the 400 meters and at that point, I thought I had won all my races and wanted to finished the day 4 and 0.  David Schmanski was in my heat and he has a World record and a whole lot of State records in the 400, 800 and 1500 meter events.  He was recovering from a hernia surgery, but he is always dangerous because he runs with a stalking style and has a really great finish.  He was THE competition for this race. I have beaten him only a few times and he hates getting beat. Not a grudge match or anything, I hate losing too.
 
I was in lane 7 and he was in lane 5 and I could have moved to lane 4 but stayed outside, so I could run my race, not his.  I did not plan on going for a fast time, I just wanted to be in the 60's and comfortable at the finish.  And the finish was quite a finish!   I just ran along with a very even pace thru the last turn ( 300 m) and at that point David made up the stagger.  I could hear his shoes slapping in the water and kept watching for him.  80 meters to go--dead even!   Here we go! I know how much he hates to lose and I wanted to finish the day with a clean slate, plus at this point I felt pretty good.  I am tingly just typing this!  So I opened up my stride and put all the power I had left into the strides and pulled away and won by one second.  Man that felt good!!!  I finished in a 65.78 which is pretty solid and that time would be 25 th in the US this year in the 60-64 age group.  The most important part of the race was my legs did not tie up at the end and I had some power left at the finish.   The training lately has been working and losing the weight is definitely the biggest part of the success.  I am getting better as I age. 
 
We were done by 12:30 and I was starved and sore.  That afternoon my hammies and  buttocks were sore and I needed to put on some steroid cream at night to knock down the pain so I could sleep.  The next day I went to the gym early and warmed up in the hot tub and did a normal race day warm up and stretch routine.  That really helped and two days later, I am feeling pretty good, but my hammies will need a few more days rest.   They did what I asked, that final stretch really put them to the test. My hips and abs are typically sore after a race weekend and they are fine.  So I am addressing weaknesses as they come along--I need some more strength in the back part of my legs now and a couple more pounds need to be shed.
 
I thought that was my last race for the year, but I may race the 100 and 400 or 200 (not both) at Chattanooga Oct 16.  Our son will be here helping out with Linda's recovery and I may see if I can work it out where I get a play date.   I would like to back up the 100 m and do one more 400 or 200 this season.  Now I am curious if I can back up the 13.2 second 100....
 
 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

District Qualifier