Tennessee State Senior Games Finals

Last weekend the State Finals Track meet for NSGA  was held in Franklin, TN.   As you know from my previous blog, my back was hurting.  But I just shut up and ran. And good things did  happen.  I won the 100 meter dash for the first time in 5 or 6 tries at the State Finals.  It was getting so frustrating, that a couple of years I did not even sign up to run it.  That was how bad my prospects of winning were.   But this year I finally broke through. Thomas Siegle beat me last year and we had raced earlier this year and we were basically shadows of the other when we get to the finish. This year it was my turn and I finally took a gold in the 100!   The victory margin was 0.03 seconds or less than a foot.   I got a great start and had a little bit of a lead and within 20 meters Thomas was on my hip and it  went this way to the finish.  Absolutely neck and neck.  Linda videoed the event from turn one and it was close.  I managed to eek out a victory with a very nice lean and that was the difference!   I basically won the first meter and the  last meter for a 2 meter win in the 100 meter race.  The time was 13.39 seconds.   I just love getting in those races--and that is real racing.  Running away and hiding is nice, but it is a lot more fun to grind it out with some grit and try and find a way to get to the finish first.  I have been in a lot of this "slug fests" of late and love 'em.  I have won my share and have been edged out in my share too.  But, if I am in the mix at the line, I will take it every time.  It is just more fun and fun is why I do this sort of racing.
Two National and Three State Medals
Speaking of edged out, Siegle edged me in the 50.  He got a better start and I could not make it up and out lean him.  He had learned the drill and ran a great race.  Silver medal for that effort.  I think my time was around 7.38 or something like that.  I got beat and that is how it goes.

After two races, my back was holding up OK and not giving me any real  problems.  It was just a little tight and I think the two strips of KT Tape was helping stabilize the situation. The only adjustment I made was to move my blocks back a few more inches from the starting line to stretch out a bit more relax at the line  and I still got pretty good starts.   Today I still needed to add some tape to the back, it is healing but maybe 85% at this point.  I have set up an appointment with some people that work on core strength and stability and we will begin a new regiment shortly for warm up to prevent back injuries that have been popping up lately. Time to change up some old stretching habits that help the muscles but are torturing my back. I need to learn and get smarter about training.

I did not run the 400 meters, which would have been the first event on Saturday morning. I thought I could run the short stuff and survive all three or run one long race and be done for the weekend.  I took the three short races and that was the right move.   I have skipped two straight 400 races due to health concerns.  I can run fast in the short events even when I am dinged up a bit.  The 400 mastery may be a thing of the past--it does take a huge toll on my body and recovery is really tough and you need to be all healed up to compete.  I need to run the 400 in Baton Rouge and it may be my optional race in the future, who knows.  My body needs to be heard on this one. Right now, it likes the shorter stuff. 

The third race was the 200 meters on Sunday afternoon.  I felt good at that point and knew I was OK with the ouchy back.   I got a good start and just dropped the hammer at 40 meters and never looked back.  I did tie up at 160 meters, but I wanted to get the lactic acid to come out during the race and find the limit. .  I finished at 27.29 and controlled the race with a win. My last three 200 meter races have been 27.26, 27.28 and 27.29 and that looks like my terminal velocity!!  My PR is the 27.26.   That appears to be as fast I can go.   I am getting the hang of the 200 and the next step is to figure out if I can ever beat 27 flat??

There were some great performances across the board, TN has some great track stars and it showed.  Lyon Fleming nailed a 12.28 100 meters in 55 year olds and pulled up in the 50 with a 7 flat--wow.  He has a bad calf and hopefully he can get back in the game. Every division had records or near records in a lot of events.  There is a lot of speed in the Volunteer state.

What is next?   For me-- I need to get the back problem solved and get ready for some 400's at Baton Rouge.  Ravenwood track will be my home for the next week as I get into 400 meter shape.  May the track monster have mercy on my soul. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

District Qualifier