Turkey Trot

If the Canyon was not enough torture I ran a 5K on Thanksgiving morning.    I run this race every year to support the local charity --Graceworks and to remind myself of why I am a sprinter.   I am a sprinter because I cannot get enough air into my system to do longer distances....period. 

This year we did run the complete 5.0K course and I finished in 30:56, which was 13 of 43 in my age group.  I have always be trying for beating 30 minutes but I have too many excuses this year, and they do not matter because they are just excuses.  Last year they cut off a section because the lead out people screwed up badly.   We ran a 4.45 K last year and I was really fast in comparison!  The weather was substantially cooler this year with a race time temperature( 8:00 AM)  of 30 degrees and clear. There was over 3000 that started the race and it grows a little bigger each year.   The event is well organized and is easy to run if you are interested.  

I did run pretty hard this year with my heart rate average of 98% of my maximum  for the race and I needed to walk several times to get the heart rate below 105%, I pushed it, but there is not enough endurance in this frame to make it happen.  I am also a little heavier than I want. The Canyon hike added some poundage to my hips and legs, it is great to have the extra power, but in this situation  it is wasted strength.  That fact alone, tells me that training needs to be specific for every type of activity.    I did not have any soreness from the Canyon hike and I was generally rested and ready to go. 

Speaking of training, I am starting to think about getting my plan together for next season.   I am not completely resting, but I need to get some activity started to get the weight under control--I weight 201 right now and raced last season at 193. And as the next holiday approaches I will begin to get a little more serious about doing some real running and strength work to help out my legs.   I do a fair amount of core work now to keep the hips and hamstrings strong.  I have also been doing some pilates which I enjoy.  It is a great way to stretch out my lower legs and feet--I always need work on my feet.  

Now, on to getting the Christmas  decorations all assembled and hung up so Santa will want to stop by this year with some goodies.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

District Qualifier