Fathers Day and June

Our grand daughter visited last weekend --Fathers Day-- with her Moms and we had a great time with June.  BUT, she will wear you out. She takes two naps during the day and she is up at 5:00 AM sharp-- ready to go.  Just hang on from there, she like to drive the bus really fast.  

   Linda and I were both just exhausted after two full days and three nights with June in the house.  We need to get in better shape for this stuff.  It was worth it, she is just the sweetest thing ever!  She loved playing in the creek with a bucket, some sticks and of course a dinosaur floating in the bucket.  I think it was some soup starter.   We see her again in two weeks!!  Grandma made cookies for June  and a banana crème pie for Fathers Day along with a killer pot roast and we just had a great time.  That was a fantastic Fathers Day treat with June, Linsi, Betty and Bruce the pug in town as well.


The week after the Southeast Regional meet I was in NY state and was doing some speed work and got a cramp/ tweak in my left calf.  Similar to the calf issue I had a Baton Rouge, but not as bad.  I iced it right away and had some swelling in the soleus muscle under the outer calf muscle.  I did nurse it for about a week and after 10 days it was pretty good shape again.  I think I am healed but I will be using KT tape to see if I can avoid another occurrence.

I have been working on high jumping, javelin and also rounded up a 5 kg shot and 1 kg discus to begin work towards some pentathlon competitions next year.  As I move up in my age group, I want to work on some other events that need more technique rather than raw speed.  The pentathlon for the indoors and outdoors are very different in terms of events and I am going to play with them all and see if I can get competitive in at least the indoor events.  This season I am going to high jump in the Senior Games state meet this weekend.  I have done a fair amount of training for the jumps and hopefully it will pay off.     I might as well stay busy at the big meets and have some more fun.

My training has been pretty good leading up to the meet this weekend.  My mental state is about as good as it has been for a long time and that is really huge.   My times earlier in the season are competitive nationally and now I need to deliver with a great effort this weekend.  HJ Friday afternoon,  400 Saturday morning, 100 Saturday evening, 50 early Sunday and 200 closes the meet on Sunday afternoon.  Good spacing for resting, but it is still a lot of hanging around a hot track and just the strain of the heat and waiting, but that is where the mental strength pays off--just go do it!
She is just too sweet to be true!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?