USATF SE Regional track meet

Last weekend the Masters met in Birmingham, AL for a regional track meet.   I ran the 400 and 200 meter events and showed some definite improvement from the slogfest at Whites Creek.    The weather was hot!  Sunny with a nice breeze ( thanks for that relief) and the humidity was just awful.  I like hot and humid conditions, but this was over the top in terms of discomfort. Ok, enough bitching. 

I ran the 400 first and was in a slow heat ( 3 runners)  and I  basically made my own pace and won my class easily.   I improved my season best time to a 65.65 which is 7th quickest in the USA this season in my 60-64 age group.  I could have found some more speed, but I was going to run another race that day and I felt pretty good and was strong at the end.   I did concentrate on form and my arms to make sure I did not fade at the end.  My recovery was good, so my fitness is improving as the season progresses. The 400 is typically the race with the lowest turnout, just not that many crazies that want to go thru that painfest.

The 200 was a mixed age group with David Craig--66 year old speedster-- and some other sprinters my age in the heat.     I was in lane 4 and got a good start and David went by on the inside and he was gone about 50 meters in--that guy is fast.   I had a challenge from lane 5 and was in fourth in my heat at the 80 meter mark.   I have been working on my finish recently and when I was passed on the outside it was time to press the race.  I opened up my arm swing and really concentrated on my form and power to the finish and beat everyone but David--I have yet to beat him.  It was nice to have a real race and get to respond to challenges.   I finished in a 27.94 and that time  is 7th quick in the USA this season.  I was happy with a first number of 27 and felt my speed is starting to come around this season.   Overall, two races and improvement in each, I will take it.  I need to get some more racing in, if I can. 

Linda is afraid of bridges and this pic is a real gem!
My pre race prep was working in Las Vegas all week and doing nothing.  I guess it worked.  I was wanting to work out one evening, but it was 105 degrees and I just forgot about doing anything.  Linda rode along for this trip and we just enjoyed the strip and tried to stay cool.  We did make a trip the Hoover Dam.  That place is impressive.  What is more impressive is working construction in those weather conditions,  way too hot to even survive and you are running a jack hammer or pouring concrete.  The group that built that dam were just incredible!

Lake Mead-- the reservoir is low

The new bridge took as long to build as the dam.  The dam was ready for water in 5 years after the 2 years of prework was done.  The bridge took that long or longer to build so traffic would no longer traffic over the top of the dam.   Crazy but true.


This week I was in New York state and went to the local high school track and did some speed work with my parachute and some starts.  One the third start I had an issue with my left calf--cramp-- and that little bobo will set me back a few days. I am getting a massage today and we will try and get back on the track asap.  I just looked back and this is the same problem I had last year at the Nationals in Baton Rouge.  I guess I will need to make some changes in my training to control this problem. 

Comments

  1. In Las Vegas all week and did no training... Wow. Maybe your body was getting well needed rest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

District Qualifier