Skip to main content

Another Day, another plane ride

I traveled to Newark, NJ today for work.  I was scheduled for arrival around noon with a trip thru Baltimore.  But the plane broke,  and would take 4 hours to fix.  Southwest did the usual great job of rescheduling  me thru MDW--Midway and I got here with just an hour delay.  But I did get the center seat on each trip and on the first leg, I sat next to a guy that was big, he was 58 Short jacket size.  So I spent that leg twisted so I could actually breathe.   The next leg I had a better opportunity to find two women to sit with, they were normal size and I had a lot of room.   Whew!!

I am staying where I can see the new Liberty Tower from my hotel room.  It has its final height, they are just getting the siding on.  It is definitely the tallest building on Manhattan.  I hope it turns out to be a real showplace. 

I ran some slower strides today, 8 cycles of 100 m on a sport turf feild.  The local high schoold field is open to the public.  There was three football practices going with several people doing track work.  There was at least 50 parents watching the practices!  That is great for the kids,  Ma and Pa care..  I talked with one girl who is training for long jump at Holy Cross, I wished her well, she was doing some exotic core work.    The school  has a 6 lane synthetic track and sport turf football field that also is the baseball field.  Very classy set up.   Track is one of the few sports where you can usually find a nice facility to train. 

I was sore from fast stuff I ran yesterday.  I ran some 50 M with blocks and also ran some 100 m , 2 on curves--all with blocks.   Linda timed the my last on the curve and it was less than 15 sec, which is OK for as tired as I was.  I struggle with starts and moved the blocks around, but I think I may need some professional help in the starts.  I am not real comfortable and I think I am giving some time away.  If you know of any good starting coaches--drop me a line.

Tomorrow is a day off.  My legs need it bad.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...