Skip to main content

Final race in London

The athletics as it is called by the British or track and field as called by us is the "New World"  was wonderful with some really fast runners and  great wins by the US.  The Bahamas sprinters were basically untouchable, but it was great theatre and I loved it.    I did learn that Usain takes 4 to 5 (41 total) less strides than the competition during the 100 m.   I have a long stride that I use at the end of races sometimes.   I think I need to spend some time developing this longer stride and see it it is faster for me.   I do have very long legs for a 5' 11" man,  very 'long femurs' as my envious wife claims.  So, we need to get out the camera and clock and do some experimenting.   That may have been my advantage in high school, and I now to exploit this advantage.  I won a lot or races my senior year in high school.

Yesterday was a travel day so I rested.  I got up at 4:00 AM and getting energy to work out is not easy.   Today I did my heavy leg workout.  Which is front squats with 3 sets at 225 #.  I did some regular squats at 275, but like the front better. I do the front squats to help with a sports hernia that I had an issue with 2 years ago.  Since, I have been doing the front squats, the sprts hernia situation is under control.  I also do some power cleans and cable kicks which I use to create a longer stride.

I also did some swimming with Mrs. Allen.  I got in some work to have some aerobic activity.     Tomorrow I will go to track and get in some speed or hard work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...