Skip to main content

It is time for High Scool football

I ran yesterday in the evening at Ravenwood High School.  There was at least a dozen people getting the field ready for the football season opener today.   The band was practicing in the parking lot, the soccer team had a game going on, it was time to get football going.   I worked out for over an hour and the field crew was at it the entire time, getting the end zones painted.   I get to work out at various tracks all over the US and my suggestion would be buy a plastic field.   They never need watered, lined, painted, mowed, replanted, new drainage added....    They appear to last at least 10 years and I think the labor and water costs have to be a huge saving.  I saw a field in Tulsa, OK and it was pristine at 5 years old.   Plus, they always look perfect.    If it was raining yesterday they would have been screwed on having the field ready.

I rested the previous day-- I was real sore.   Yesterday I got out the spikes and worked on some 200 m at speed and had one less than 29 seconds, which really took a lot of out of me.   I was a second slower after that blast--but it felt good.   I worked out for 70 minutes and burned 971 calories.  So, I got the work in, but it was in a very short period of time.
   Today I went to the gym in the afternoon and  worked on my shoulders and got a pretty good work out in 45 minutes.  When Linda gets home tonite, I will go back with her and do some 65 to 75% speed stuff on the threadmill.   She will swimming in the pool, probably outdoors in the early evening glow.

In the last couple of workouts I have been wearing a pair of knee high support socks--they are a bear to get on-- and no tape or other devices.  I have been using a lot of tape for months to keep my feet from dying.    So, I think I started to get a handle on over training and reducing the wear and tear on my feet.  My speed is still good, I just need to keep after the fitness to get around the track one time for the 400 m.  should be interesting......  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...