Light and Darkness

As you grow older you learn more about your body.  Actually, doctors and people you know tell you and you just have to remember what they said.    With this info you make behavior decisions and try to make a better life for everyone concerned. 

In the past several winters I have been depressed from the lack of light basically.  The previous couple of winters I have experimented with different meds from a doctor that were supposed to make me happy--I called   them "Happy Pills".  The doctor's definition of happy was to be a zombie, lack any real "feelings' and have the sex life of a 102 year old man.   Things changed this year- a lot.   I took the meds on schedule and tried to make the program work, but I was not real impressed with results and Linda did not really like the "person" she had to live with.  Can't plame her, I was a mess.  

Linda bought me a "Happy Light"  (that is the actual name) for my birthday.   I use it regularly  and I am trying to get in the sun as much as I can.     The light is large  ( 15 x 20 inches) and if I travel by car I do take it along.    I have been able to avoid the pills thus far with great results.     Many of the changes this season are due to other factors I call environment.   The new environment includes a new house and yard that needs attention and a work schedule that keeps me too busy to lay around and moan about.   I have multiple opportunities to get out in the yard and cut brush, landscape,,,,, it does help.    So, I think it has been a good winter season for depression.  Today, I have a bit of a cold so I am really weak and a little " touchy', but that will pass.

I am beginning to get a little anxious about some outdoor running.  I have been  doing treadmills every other day with around 3000 meters of running involved.  I am concentrating on the heart rate and I think it is getting a little stronger.  My feet are holding up OK.   I want to start feeling the wind a little more and start getting the legs stronger. 

I have started to get plans ready for the Nationals.  I registered last week.  50, 200 and 400 meter races.    I will run the last weekend in July.  Prelims for the 200 m are Saturday, 400 and 50 prelims are Sunday, and finals for all three races (if I get that far) are on Monday.  If  I make them all, that would be 8 races, 5 heats and 3 finals.   I need to be in shape.    

I am also working the weight back down.  My goal is 198 by the end of February and I am on track to make that.   Once, I get to that weight, I will see how I feel and perform.    I think my cold this week is related to the dieting.  Seems, my body rebels and the best way to get me back is get a cold.  starve a fever--feed a cold.  I have been ravenous today, so the body won, it got fed.   Next week, we will go at it hammer and tong again.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?