Eye of the Comma

Is a new movie coming out?   No, it is winter time flying.   I flew into Tulsa Airport yesterday evening during the 'so called blizzard'.   It was windy and the pilot( Southwest) had his hands full with the wind sheer.  I fly a lot and this was the most out of shape I can remember right before landing.   Typically you get the funny feeling in the pit of the stomach, but I was real calm this trip and we bounced in just fine.  Winter flying is really unpredictable, but that is part of the deal.  
If you looked at the weather map for the entire US, Tulsa was in the eye of the comma shaped storm, just like the eye of hurricane.  

I have to back up in time and mention.... My flight from Nashville to Tulsa had a plane change in Houston Hobby--home of Poppadeaux's cajun reastaurant.   I would classify it as the best airport food in the world.  If you have something better, bring it on, cause you are in for a scrap--it is that good.   My original turn around was 35 minutes and I thought I would not be able to get dinner, and with the bad weather in Tulsa I got another 75 minutes to eat..... I raced in Poppadeaux's and had the Grand Bay special.   Shrimp and scallops on a skewer, crab cakes and a piece of sweet potato pecan pie for dessert.   WOW   !!!!   It is a great eating experience.  The help is wonderful and the kitchen makes it fresh right there.  I have an issue with garlic and they ALWAYS have someone from management work with me on the amounts and type of seasonings they use.  This place is top shelf.   

On the ground in Tulsa it was sleeting and by morning we had the basic 'skiff' of snow and the roads were fine.   30 miles to the North it was proabably chaos,  there is a fine line between being Ok and real problems. The bad storm missed. 

During the weekend Linda and I worked on hanging 40 feet of new gutter on our house and I ripped out 5 bushes and took care of other various landscaping activities.  I repaired 3 gates that did not close , with hinges that  were junk, and some posts that were at least 2 inches off plumb.   I also moved the mailbox up 12 inches to the delight of the mailman.  I did plenty of physical work to keep the edge for running. I did not run at all.

I did not fly on Monday until late in the afternoon.  Then the airport is empty and you can get thru security and check in with little if no hassle.   So, I went to the local gym in the mid morning and ran on their 1/11 mile track.  I usually warm up for 20 minutes with running/walking to get my heart rate up to 150 beats/minute 3 or 4 times and then stretch.   As I was warming up, I got the "feeling" thatI had some juice in the legs today.   And I did.   I ran two 400 meters indoors with a lot of traffic on the track and felt great.   I  did a 73 second and then a 74 second run. If I  do that outdoors and I am in the high 60's.     I was pretty impressed with the speed and stamina.  I am getting anxious to get an outdoor work out.  Bottom line... my training is effective on the 400 meters.  I am getting the fitness for recovery that will lead to a good season. I am doing less weight work and more actual running and it appears to be working out.  After running fast, the next day something is sore.  I had sore hips.  Really?  Yes, and it is a sign that I am  getting the torso power and getting the entire body in the running form. 

C'mon 70 degrees and sunny.  

I need to make sure that I do not get ahead of myself on the speed stuff.  It is risky and a great way to get injured.    so, I need ot hold back some and continue to point for July and the Nationals.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?