Skip to main content

Come and Gone

The Tennessee State Finals for the Senior Olympians was last weekend and I did not race.  My injury to my left leg or hip--some where in that area kept me on the sidelines.  Last week I iced it a lot and took Aleve regularly to get the swelling down.  I think it helped, but too little , too late.  I finally had some discoloration in the leg area, where it is connected to the core. 

Late week I was in Lewiston, Idaho  and it was really a hot day with brilliant sunshine. I found a nice high school track that was synthetic and thought I would would see if I could race.    I had a great warm up, 95 degrees helps a lot, and tried some 50 meters at 70 % and 80%.  80% was over the limit.  With 4 days til the race and my leg at 70 %. I was a scratch.  That sucked.   A lot of training and nothing to show for it. So, I packed up my gear and limped to the hotel.

I did get quite a bit of work done around the new homestead instead of racing.  Our house is built without a basement, it is called a "crawl space', but not for humans.  There is an access door to the underside that I started some mining to get the crawl space opened up for humans.  If you were the size of a horse jockey, you may have a shot to get under this house.  It was crazy.    I have removed 3 cubic yards to date and need another 10 yards removed to actually be able to get around under the house.  My hip has been fine for this type of bull work.  So, maybe I need to physically work it hard to get it ready for Cleveland.  Can't be worse than my other training that gets me hurt.  

I am going to not run at all this week and then do a little testing while on vacation in Michigan the Holiday week.    I hopefully can make some progress by July 7.  Otherwise I may just be out of luck at the Nationals.  And that will suck.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

Really Important Information

I participated in the USATF Masters Indoor National meet last weekend in Winston-Salem, NC.   It was good meet for me and I will add the details of the results in another post later this week.  What I want to reflect on here is the quality of people in that building.   I am just so impressed with the high level of competition and caring for each other that goes on for 3 days.  Hug and Cry Area for Awards  There were around 1000 competitors for the event, and with families and officials, generally 500 to 2000 people were in the building during the times the track was open. It was not completely full at JDL Fast Track, but a really good crowd. North Carolina passed some very hateful and just plain repressive legislation a few years back concerning rest room usage and anything that did not meet the "hateful Jesus" religion that they were  promoting.   The NBA pushed back and moved their All Star Game location and I think this may hav...