Skip to main content

Knee day

Today I am hanging around the waiting room at Vanderbilt Hospital waiting to see Linda after her new knee has been installed.    Get here early and wait, it is in many ways like an airport.   A little different crowd than an airport, much fewer professional people and a lot more people eating nervously and going out to get a smoke.   I went out to breakfast after Linda went into the OR, but I could probably bore through plenty of cookies or potato chips just like the rest of the crowd.  

Linda  was in the OR about 3 hours and the doctor talked to me and said they got it finished.  His only comment was about a large amount of arthritis in the joint.   But her knee is done and we get to get healed up and on with life.    The knee has been a real problem for several years and we hope they is now in the past.  

There is no way to be prepared for this waiting activity.    The nervous edge is just brutal,  you hope,  but you do not really know until you get word.  They have a video screen in the waiting area--it seats  at least 50-- and it updates the patient progress.   Word just came thru she is doing well in recovery and another update in an hour.   They put you way under for this stuff and coming back out appears to be quite a laborious process.

So I will happily wait for her to be ready for a visit.   I have her eye glasses with me, she has got to be getting real antsy to get them back on and keep up with all the medical techno jargon that goes on.   So I wait.    This part is not the fun part.  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...