Chains and locks

Finally some good training weather.   I like some humidity and warmth to allow my muscles to release and do some work. The humidity also is a great help to my breathing, denser air seems to work better for me.

I did go to the doctor after the Nashville meet and we looked into what was going on with my lack of energy and investigate some bites on hips.   The best the doctor and I could diagnose was that I had been bitten by a tick of some sort and also had gotten some flu type sickness due to my reaction to the bites.  She put me on an antibiotic and things got better immediately.  The bites are very slow to heal and after a month a couple still have some swelling in them!!  But I am feeling much better.  It could be too many hotel rooms or paper mills... who knows. 

I have upped the training so I am ready for the State Finals in a couple of weeks.   I lifted over the weekend and my legs hurt so much that I had to rest two full days before doing anything. I am still strong.   Two days ago I ran on grass.  I like to do some 100 m sprints to get a feel for the 400 pace and get the rest of the soreness out of my legs.   It worked quite well, soccer pitch is just fun to run on.  Yesterday evening, I went to Ravenwood and ran on their new track surface.   I ran all speed type work, with a 200, some 100's and 50 meter cycles.  I also have been working on a speed ladder to get my footwork speeded up.  I felt really good, I did the 50's at 95% and they were in the high 6 second range with a running start.  I felt pretty good about the speed part.  I will continue to do the speed work for another couple of weeks and then rest at least 4 days prior to the meet. 

In my most recent travels, two high schools have installed beautiful tracks around all weather football fields.    One track is in Catoosa, OK and the other in Florence, Al.   The stadiums are first rate for the size of the  schools and look fantastic--except they are locked up.   Prior to the renovations, the tracks were very nice and the fields were a "public" place where people were allowed to come and run/walk  etc.   I actually would work my travel around using these facilities if I knew I would do a track workout during that period.  Every time I used the tracks, there would be people running and walking.  Great to see people out burning some calories.  Now, both are locked up with signs about no one allowed except the athletes from the school!  What?  You speed millions and lock it up so it stays nice?  Mother Nature will wear it out much quicker that a bunch of mothers with strollers and kids working on their running skills or an old man getting in some speed work. I don't get it.  Two states and the same results.  Are people that rotten and no to be trusted with a nice facility?  Makes me shake my head..

I am glad I live in an area where the local high schools still have grass fields and the facilities are open to the public to use.  The new school in Nolensville will have a turf field, and I will check it out and let you know about the track and access.  And yes, people do go to the track and run.  I was at the high  track for 60 minutes last night and at least 8 other people used the track during that period. The facility is a public resource that I do not think it should be hoarded, share it!  Thanks to Williamson County schools for leaving the gate open. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?