USATF SE qualifier race

Linda and I were in Winston-Salem for my first USATF race and my first indoor race.  I raced well and enjoyed the meet.  USATF is very professional in their meet administration and it is on time and done correctly.  Both of these items I like a lot.   I like to know when I run and they stick to the schedule!   The facility is an indoor track with no banking, but wide turns.  The turns are 50 meters and the straightaways are also 50 meters.  The track is basically square and it was pretty easy to keep track of where you were at in your race.  The traction was really good on this surface and it did give you a little push back which I liked a lot.  The humidity was over 90 %, but I run much better is moist air than dry because my breathing is much better. It was "close" as they say.

This was my first indoor meet and I like the format.  It is a quick day and you get some great competition---I was chasing people in each race.  The 400 was first and it is two laps, and you break after the second turn and can race without lane restrictions the rest of the way--or you get to race the other people.  I liked that part of the race and I actually did run a guy down in the last straightaway to get a bronze in the 400.  My time was 65.01, which is pretty fast for me this early in the year, I was really happy with the time.  I ran a 31.6 first 200 split. Linda videoed the race with her phone and there is a time monitor at the starting line and I got this number of her video!! That is so cool.  I ran a good race and that time for a 60 year male is USATF AA Standard Bronze level achievement !   There are Silver and Gold AA Standards that are way too fast for my feet, but the Bronze is a great start.  I have never achieved any of these standards as a 55 year old in the 400, so the field is coming back to me.

There was 60 minutes between the 400 and the 200.  I got something to eat, drank more liquids and tried to cool down my legs with some jogging to flush them out.  I ran very hard in the 400 and was feeling like I could possibly get crampy on the 200.  I started a little hesitant and about half way down the first straight let it go.  I felt good and the cramps were not coming, but I started too slow to really have a shot at this race.  If we raced it first, I would have been a lot faster--I think. I ran 29.00.   But it was another bronze medal and also the absolute slowest time to make USATF AA Bronze Standard again!!!   Two in one day!  I did make the Bronze level as a 55 year old as well.  
  

That was it, two races and done.  After the race it was time to load up and head back to the Charlotte airport.  But first we needed to eat and watch some football.  Atlanta was pounding Green Bay as we ate some really yummy turkey burgers and had a couple of beers--we did not realize they were 24 ouncers. One of the traditions of mine that is developing is some PBR after the race, nice and tasty carb reloading!    At the airport and on the plane we tried to watch the Steelers, but the zone defense was awful and that one was over quickly as well. It was a full day of racing, football and travel. 



 
Today is Monday after the races, my calves are really heavy and just hurt. I think the traction on the track was good enough for my calves to get way more than they can handle.  Typically my hips, abs and hammy are a little sore.  Today it is mostly the calves with a touch of abs.  I did go to the hot tub to work on the calves, it helped, but I will need a another day or two for these puppies. I guess I will need to find a way to torture my calves with some different training to get them up to speed.
 
I did like the indoor racing and will do it again.  The USATF Masters Indoor Nationals is in 3 weeks in New Mexico.  I am trying to figure out how I can get in the show.  I will be in Vancouver, Canada early in the week and I think I can swing by for three days of racing on the way back.  400 finals on day one, 200 m prelims day 2 and 200 finals day three.  So I think it is plausible, I just need to make it happen. Stay tuned.  

 
 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?