On The Edge



I ran yesterday outside and ran OK for a couple of 200 at 95%, but it was a little cool for my pansy ass and I finished up at the gym with some slower speed treadmill cycles.  A couple days earlier I ran indoors at the 300 meter Vanderbilt training facility.   I really liked the warmth and lack of wind.  The wind yesterday was from the South, but it is just too much for me to handle--it really messes up my breathing--which is my real weakness.     At Vandy I ran a bunch or 60 and 55 meter repeats and timed them all.   I did some with running and standing starts.  And the start is worth 0.7 seconds standing vs. running.  In these short races, a good start is worth a stride and that is the difference between a medal and nothing.   My times were in the 8's and that would be very competitive at the National level, BUT the 400 and 60 meters are typically stacked on top of each other figuring the same athletes will not do both.  They are correct, you cannot if you want to survive the 400.  I will get a legal time one day, I may have to skip the 400, but I am really curious of how well my speed is matching up to the old geezers in my class.   I really like the short sprints, because the pain inflicted is nothing compared to the longer races I am involved.

I have been actually training as hard as I do in season and we are still in January.  My hope is to avoid injuries from the high amount of work.  Work hard and get stronger and be competitive or take your time and progress much slower,  is always a balancing act you need to manage.  Currently I have no real issues with injuries.  I have actually been running with spikes a couple days a week and no using any KT tape for the plantar on my right foot.  I have not run without tape since the injury 4 or 5 years ago.   I call that real progress.    I have also been much better with my running form and I think the form improvement and stronger lower body has made a difference.   I also use compression calf sleeves every time I run.   I am a firm believer in sleeves and the support they provide. 

The weight is still a struggle, but I want to be around 194 if I can by the time I get to New Mexico.  Christmas is tough with food everywhere and it all tastes wonderful.  The waist line is already under control and it firming up nicely.  I still have a little giggle of fat on the stomach, but I am not sure if that will ever go away--some genetic deal I suppose.   I will continue to train 6 days a week until I get back on the road and then do the best I can.  

I watched some college track at the Arkansas indoor facility, which is a banked track just like the one we will race on in New Mexico.  I have not raced on a banked track and I did pick up quite a few little pointers on how to win your heat.  The racing is quite similar to the old Nascar sling shot off the last corner and beating them down the straight away.  Several  times is the 400, the leader would just weaken slightly  rounding the final curve and the field would cover them.  Strength is paramount in the last 50 meters.  I think I can use some of this race savvy to help my results.  I also looked like a lot of fun.

I will continue to tread on the over training edge and try not to fall.  Easier said than done.  Enjoy this sun shine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

District Qualifier