USATF Indoors Nationals

Last weekend I participated in the USATF Indoor meet in Landover , MD.  I did get one Gold in the 4 x 400 relay  and struggled in the individual events.   Overall it was great weekend, but I have some work to do to be competive in the outdoor season.  

We ran the 400 race first day in  two heats and I was in the fast heat.   My plan was to stay with the leaders and make the first lap at about 29 seconds and then see what I had left.  I was close to 29 at the half way,  but I was already toast—nothing left.  I cruised home in big distress at 66 seconds and was 7 th, which was quite a  disappointment.   Great strategy, but lousy execution.    Next race was  the 60 which I did well but was 10th.  Too much speed on that track.  I ran a 8.78 second AA Silver Standard time! I had worked hard on my speed in the off season and will continue some of that speed work.  My start was really solid, just too much top end speed with that bunch for me.
The last day was the 200 and relay.   I ran the race I wanted in the 200 but was too slow at 29.26.  That is slow for me, no doubt about it, I need to get more track time. This was the first race for me this season and that was a mistake.   I had tried to get into various races in January and February and scheduling just did not work.    You need to race regularly to be ready,  pretty simple.

The last race of the last day ( day 3) was the high light of my meet, nothing like waiting for the best......The 4 x 400 is for the 60-69 age group and there was 9 teams in the event and we were in the second heat.  The first heat had three very quick teams at 4:36,  4:37 and 4:44 seconds.   We knew what we needed to medal and our group was really wanting gold--especially me, I had not scored a single point yet! 

I lead off with a 1:07 split and the lead by 10 meters as I handed to Charlie Powell who ran about the same split and then David Craig managed a 74 split and David Schmanski brought it home with a 64 split for a 4:32 gold medal relay!!  It was exciting to say the least.  After I recovered a little,  I was screaming my guts out as we lapped the track and the field.  We got into lap traffic on lap 4 of 8 and really needed to do some navigating to stay out of trouble.   The timer is live and we knew what we needed and where we were running the entire race and pulled if off!!  That was exciting.......  Charlie and I were also Gold in this event in Baton Rouge, so we defended our national Championship, which really felt good.  Charlie is from Casper , Wyoming and the other three in this group are from central Tennessee.  Tennessee has some great competition on the track.

  

In review of the event, the venue was quite arid and I think I was very dehydrated for the first two days and that did not help my efforts.  I am faster in high humidity events.    The attendance was very large and it was three very full days to get it all done.   This picture is of the bull pen for the relays--just nuts.   Two runners were over 100 years old were in some events and were basically rock stars with camera crews following them around.   I think everything they did was a world record!!  



For my performance, I need to loose some weight and get in better shape--words I have heard before.   I ran at 200 pounds and that is just too big to be competitive and I need to get some more meets under my belt early in the year.   The next meet is outdoor at Whites Creek near Nashville and it is a USATF regional event.   I will weigh less and have better conditioning--no excuses.     I still enjoy running and it is still fun for me.   Even though I have a tough meet like this one, I still had a lot of fun and will learn how to be more competitive. 

I ran two 400 meter races.  The first race I ran a 29 first 200 and a 37 second split and was just not even competitive the second lap--used up and struggling.   That was  embarrassing. The second race was in the relay and I basically ran the same time, but knew what I was capable. So I ran about the same time in the relay, but ran a 31 second first lap and 35 second lap with something left at the end.   I ran the race to my capabilities, which is why I need more early season races....   No injuries of note, sore Achilles for 3 days and I ran yesterday on Miami Beach on the sand and boardwalk.   I felt fine and know I need to peel off some weight and get in shape for outdoors!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?