Skip to main content

I may be deaf soon

The starting pistol at the Ky races was by far the loadest I have ever experienced.   I swear the guy had a .45 caliber or deer rifle!!!   Wow.   On the 50 m dash, he started us and the gun when --click.   Everyone just stood up, laughed,  and he used the other blaster to get us started, even the click was load enough to start a race. 

I am in KY today and working at the new tissue mill that will start up in a couple of weeks.   It is always exciting to get a new tissue machine out of the box, set it up and make bath tissue.   Kinda like Christmas, but you need 200 people to get your present going properly.

I am still doing some resting and will probably work on some running this weekend.  I think I will start my training over, and do the 5K stuff at 8 min/mile pace and work on my stamina.  I also need to settle on a target weight for next summer.  I will have to do some serious dieting down to get into the shape that I think will be competive at Cleveland.   My feet take a real beating at the meets and I need to rest them as long as I can.    I hope everyone had a wonderful Columbus Day--I almost missed it and worked anyways.  

Comments

  1. It was a REALLY loud gun! I was seated at the finish line and it made me jump out of my skin! Maybe they think older folks need a louder starting gun...or maybe they're in "cahoots" with Miracle Ear!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...