Kentucky Races

I ran in Kentucky Saturday,  at their State Finals.  The weather was not as bad as I had expected--I thought it would rain, but it was dry, clear and really crisp.   It was in the mid 50's but the wind made it feel a lot colder.   I had entered all four sprints and my intention was to see if I could improve on my times  and see if the different type of training was effective.  I ran a 7.27 second 50 meters which was an 0.08 improvement and the 100 was also the season best at 13.25 or an improvement of 0.12 seconds.   I was second in both events.  I was beaten by Jamie Tyler who is from Tennessee and had an injured calf and was out of the Tenn Finals in July.  He  was healed, because he did run very well.  He has great speed out of the blocks.

I won the 200 meters with a time of 27.73 seconds.  I ran faster at the district meet in May, but it was an absolute neck and neck race the whole way, so I really pushed that one.  I also was beaten in that event.   I ran hard this meet as well and gave it 100%, I was really gassed and that was it for me.   I scratched from the 400 because we were getting almost no rest between races and the 11 mph wind down the backstretch was going to be an real hamstring killer-- I was not gonna risk it.  Even it I ran I would have been lucky to break 65 seconds.  

Linda videoed the events and I will post more of them.   I put up the 200 meters.  

The best part of Senior events are the people you meet.  Chris Edlin who reads this blog looked me up and told me he has been following the blog and I appreciate his time.  I looked up his result and he ran 4 th in three Tn State Final events this year--which is really tough to run well and take home no hardware.  But from his times, he is real close to being in the money. Keep working and good things happen.  He introduced Linda and I to the pole vaulting FBI man from Bartlett--Joe Ford.   Joe won the pole vault in his class this year at TN State Finals.  Joe was involved  in the Tennessee Waltz FBI sting that convicted 12 of 12 of fraud in the Memphis area. Keep Joe on your good side.    You never know who you are going to meet at these events, and everyone is always friendly and supportive.   Another lady was collecting some medals and we commented on her good day, and she replied   " it helps when you outlive your competition".  And she is right, keeping healthy is a big part of why we do this. 

I am done competing for this season and I am trying to figure out if I need to modify my training, get a trainer or coach, which events  I will attempt next July in Cleveland.   I will analyze my times and try to figure out what events I have the best shot of medaling in Cleveland.  My best events are the 200 and 400 meters, but that double would be incredibly difficult.  Michael Johnson did it in the Olympics--but I am no Michael Johnson---yet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?