Deer Week

I am in Ohio this week for my 6 days of fun in the great outdoors chasing white tail deer.   We use shotguns with slugs in Ohio and hunt in farming country with a pretty good mix of brush added.    I have hunted with the same group since I started hunting deer, which would be the early 80's.    We treat the hunt as a team sport and try to get everyone a chance to kill something.   That is not always possible, but we try to get you a chance, and if you are a bad shot, you just get chance you do not have to drag anything.  

I was driver on Monday and did not sit--we had 5 'school kids' that hunted and we worked on getting them some chances. They did get some shots with no luck.   Monday, Tuesday and Saturday are usually days we work with the school kids to kill some deer.   On Monday I wore my heart rate monitor and left it on for 16 hours-- that was when I got dressed in the morning, til I had finished the last Euchre game at night,   6778 calories were burned during this period!!!  Heart rate was 108 average and 171 maximun.  I did take a couple of shots, but I did not have enough time to think about it and the heart rate did not spike for the shots.  The hills that I climbed did get the rate up as we pushed thru the brush.  I had 14 hours of fat burning and 2 hours of fitness heart rate. Pretty good work out for one day.  

I had some new boots that are a narrow fit.  I finally found the right sock combination yesterday --the third different try--to get the right foot feel and fit.  I get get a 50 cent size blister on my left heal on Monday.  I knew it was developing, but could not get a chance to fix it before it was really bad.  So, I have been patching my heal with KT tape.   I have used KT tape on the right foot with a plantar faciitis wrap and it feel great.   My final sock combination was compression socks that I use to train in  and light outer layer.  I have a good tight fit on my foot and it is working pretty good. I struggle with the feet every year. 

As far as deer hunting, the weather has been perfect.  Typically this week is a mud feast, but Ohio had a dry summer and it is nice and mud free!!  I have not killed any deer yet, I did help finish off a nice 8 point buck and that was a rush.   I missed two running does, but they were really quick chances with little chance of success.  Our group has killed 19 thus far.  Ohio allows 3 deer per hunter, so we would like to get into the  high 20's if we can.  We are basically meat hunters.    Antlers are fun and great to have on the wall, but we are trying to fill the freezer.  

We have three more days of hunting and on Sunday we butcher and divide the meat.  I will get you some details on that activity. I have always wondered why I am tired after deer week and have blamed the long days, beer and being outside for 7 days.  I think it is the calorie burn, ithas resulted in a too much energy being consumed  If I averaged 6000 calroies per day for 7 days-- 42,000 calories in more than I can replace.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?