Skip to main content

Rockfest North Face

The North Face of this project is not as threatening as the North face of Everest.  Whew!!  I finished the second major part of rock fest and I am convinced that I may have the strongest ass in Williamson County.   I used up the rest of my rocks tonight and have the tree that was being threatened by erosion protected  the best I can.  The next 3 inch rain storm will tell the real story.   This is the most basic bull work you can imagine.  My finger nails are gone, hands are just junk and my back is sore.  I have used a lot of really bad lifting technique the last week, but my back is hanging tough and as a result will be much stronger coming out of this project,  Power is in the hips, I am convinced.  With power you get speed,  I will test that out at the end of September.
As a youngster, I was skinny and bony but still had some great speed.  The only thing that I can figure caused the speed was genetics ( I do have long legs and arms in relation to my body core--Alex Felix is another example of this)   and throwing hay bales.  I got a very good opportunity when I was in my early teens to "make hay" which was pretty physical and throwing the bales was an all day project.   You get Popeye forearms and power in the hips and homemade ice cream.  After a while, the arms give out and you gotta get the bale moved with your ass and hips.   As far as genetics for speed, who knows, not a lot of athletes in my family.

The ice cream was hang cranked--you are never too tired to crank off a batch.  I made hay for a dairy farm, and there was always prime ingredients for ice cream.  I am getting an head ache just thinking about it---yum....

I did some writing for work this week for an internal document that will be used to educate the sales force on some information gathering techniques I have been developing for the last several years.   After finishing the 1 page document, my boss indicated that it was "perfect".   My writing over the years has been marginal at best--way too technical in nature.  I think the effort that I have put into this blog has made me a better writer.   I actually review the text and make sure it is appropriate and makes sense for the point I am trying to convey.   Repetition is like practice, it helps. 

I am thinking seriously about running a 5 K on Labor Day.  There is a race in Franklin on Monday and I would love to break 30 minutes for a 5K.   I know that is not that fast, but I am a 57 year or sprinter--gimme a break.  Linda is thinking about walking the 5 K as well.   So, we could get some exercise and support the local hospital all in one swoop.
As you can tell, I am slacking on running.  Ok, but I am getting a lot of other stuff  completed.   I have finshed several projects at home that included getting a lot of undesirable trees eliminated and the place looks better for it.   I like trees that one day will grow up to be fence boards, posts, siding, firewood, etc..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...