Summer finally made it!!

Tomatoes and corn patch
The Farmer's Almanac predicted a hotter than normal summer this year in the mid South-- yep they were right.  I am in Kentucky this week and it is really hot and really dry here.   The Almanac was right on the money again.   I put in the water pumping system to water the garden and yard because of their predictions for this season.  With the temperature in the mid 90's and the sun beating pretty hard without a cloud anywhere, getting in some afternoon running has been a challenge.   Plus the track is black rubber.

I have been running closer to sunset and just some jogging really after a  lengthy warm up period. My overall workout intensity is down about 35% on the calorie counter.     On Monday and Tuesday I worked on my leg soreness.  Quads were sore today and the hammies yesterday.   I ran hard on Sunday morning, as well.  I did a 200 meter in 28.6 seconds with spikes and ran 4 really hard 50 meters in the mid 7's.   The 200 meters and 50 times are under the qualifying times for the Nationals--according to their chart.  So, my speed is there and I will continue to stay loose this  week and work on on just fitness and hydration. 

Speaking of hydration:  in the past this has been my downfall. You have to learn the hard way sometimes, and I sure did.    I had some bad muscle cramps as a result of running too hard while not hydrated properly.  Ask Lebron James how those crampy things feel?? He is still a kid and he was put out of the game.   The last two years prior to the TN State meet  I screwed up while testing my speed.  One event was in the morning after a long weekend of yard work( which will dry you out) and the other time during a very hot evening that I was crazy to run hard.   2014 is different!  I have been incredibly careful about hydration and have been taking some electrolyte caplets every day and not running when I know I need to get more water in my body.   So, a couple days to go and I am not going to test anything......  Tomorrow is another loosen up day and cardio. Hopefully any soreness will be completely worked out of the legs.   Thursday and Friday are rest.  Saturday is let it rip day, as is Sunday.   On Sunday,  I need to defend my State Finals record in the 50 meters.  It has been there for 2 years, I want to lower it a little and keep it for a couple more while I can defend it.

Also on Saturday I will visit my massage therapist and get a good leg rub and also get some feedback on my level of hydration and flexibility.  Geoff knows what level of hydration I need to be.  

This why I train, to get to this point and have some fun. 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?