Post meet review

200 meter finals podium.    I ran seventh and just did not really have the zing for the race.

I ran fifth in two straight National Finals in the 400 meters.  The 400 is 'my' race and the results are close, but still not far enough up the podium to suit me.  I want metal, not ribbon....   I dug out some info that was written by the coach for Michael Johnson and Jeremy Wariner, who were the premier 400 m athletes in their generation.  They both attended Baylor University and the Baylor track coach-Clyde Hart- has some definite experience in creating quarter mile champs. 

There are ways to predict your 400 meter time that is achievable with the proper training.   Take your best 200 time, double that and add 3.5 seconds.   27.7 x 2 +3.5= 58.9 seconds.   I finished the race in 62.55 seconds.   There is a couple of seconds out there that I need to go find.   Coach Hart has written many articles about training and I have worked on some ideas for my training that should help me get quicker.  I the past, 400 m athletes have been distance people that you taught speed, and the  sprinters you teach the endurance.  In recent history the speedsters who were taught endurance were much more successful.  It is hard to teach speed, and I do agree.   

I have a lot of data about the last two National Finals and did some analysis of the premier runners that have run the 200 and 400 meters.  My analysis was using the above equation for 400 meter time to find out what the factor was for each athlete using their 200 and 400 times.   From this data it is obvious who are sprinters and who are distance type athletes. Michael Murray and Jerry Crowe who beat me this year and Michael who also beat me in Cleveland, have a factor around 4.  They are running about as fast as they can in the 400, they are lean and are not as effective in the 200 m.  They are highly conditioned athletes who are not true sprinters, as such.  These are generalities, but I think the end game here will be legitimate. The athletes that are competitive in the 100, 200 and 400 tend to have a higher number of 6 to 8.  They are true sprinters and they are highly conditioned.   My score runs around 6.8.   This number indicates that I am a decent sprinter, but lack the conditioning to win in the 400m. 

Let's look at the big picture for getting a medal.  Can I medal in the 50 or 100 at the National level??  That would be a stretch, the raw speed is not there, I have looked at the numbers.   Can I medal in the 400 m-- yes, it is my best chance.  Can I medal in the 200 m-- I have a shot.    Michael Johnson held the world record in the 200 and 400 m at the same time, still holds the 400 m record.   MJ's training is well documented and I followed some of his techniques in the past and will continue.  Do I want to be Michael Johnson??  Not really, but the best training for the 400 is basically what he did and my plan going forward will be to do the 200 400 double in the Nationals and USATF Master Championships.   The athletes that get into the finals for both the 200 and 400 is very limited.  The dominant athletes can do all the sprints.   In this year's 60-64 year old division, no one doubled in the 200 400m.    There are sprinters who go fast and only do the 50, 100, 200 and avoid the 400 painfest like the plague.  I run them all and get beat in the short races and compete well in the 200 400.   The 200 is run against totally different athletes than the 400 group.  I basically get to race everybody who shows up.  Fine with me.  Beat them all if I can.  Is this distribution of any real bearing?  I many ways yes.  

Blah Blah.... what is your plan Buddy??   I want to run 2 or 3 more meets this season.   I am going to make a major emphasis change in my training to get that two seconds that I am leaving on the table for the 400 m.   My first change is much more emphasis on longer runs that include 400 and 800 m runs at 80%+ pace.  My conditioning needs to improve.  The only fear is my bad feet, hopefully they can hold up.  I will do a lot of treadmill work, it is pretty easy on my dogs. I will run the 400 m on Sept 19 in Kingsport, TN and challenge the 60 second barrier.  Why there?  Jerry Crowe will be at that meet and I will see if I can talk him into being my rabbit.   The final meet of the season will be October 10 where I will challenge my 200 meter form.   Lyon Fleming will be at that meet and he is really fast with an USATF All American time at the Nationals 200 m finals.   He will be  great to race in the 200m.  The competition is critical in getting good times.    A third meet in Kentucky would be an option , but it is on Labor Day weekend, the day after the Kelly Clarkson concert and that could be a bad choice to run that day. 

Why change now?   I think I can go quicker in the 400 and I will be in older group next year.  I want to maximize any age advantage I can gain.   I am completely sucked into the track competition.  It has been a big part of fighting some of the depression I used to suffer in the winter, and I like to compete, I want to challenge myself.   I am also going to lose some weight.  Every elite athlete was quite trim.  I am also going to work my upper body more and regain some of my arm strength.  I have really slacked on the upper body strength training, I have concentrated on lower body work the last couple of season to hopefully get quicker in the 400 and 200.   My workouts are going to be longer as a result, so I will need to feed the beast during the workouts.  I also will do more slower paced running , like 5K's or possibly a mud run or two  in the winter to keep the fitness level in control. 

Change is hard, but I want to get on the top step and I will not arrive there without changes.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?