Skip to main content

Arrival and recon

Linda and I made it to Cleveland with  little trouble and made it downtown to get signed in.   A lot going on in downtown Cleveland this weekend.   Sr Olympians all over. 

My schedule is :
Saturday--  200 meter qualifier--@ 11:00 am.  41 signed up.  One race and the 8 best times make it to the final on Monday  (9:15)
Sunday-- 400 meter qualifier--@ 8:30 AM.  40 signed up.   Same deal--one qualifier race for everyone,  Finals on Monday at 11:15
           50 meter qualifier at 10:22.  26 signed up.. One shot to qualify--fastest 8 times regardless of what heat you were in.  
Monday-- all finals if I make them

I went over to the track today( Baldwin-Wallace University) and the surface is very nice and fast.  A 90 year ran a 71 second 400 meters and set a record--wow!!  So this field is fast.    I also ran into Charles Baker from Tennessee.  He got third in the 400 meters in the 85 year division.   We see him at the Tenn State meets.   They are giving out some nice hardware, the medals are really nice--

I talked to the meet referee and asked my questions about starting blocks--I brought my own, and also how they were running the qualifiers.  I was thinking quarterfinals and semifinals in the same day--which is exhausting for us old farts.   I feel a lot better now about the meet, I run one race to qualify and one in finals ( for each race length).   Much easier on my body.  Now, I just have to haul ass on each one--maximum effort each time out, no saving.     

So, I have calmed down quite a bit after getting the recon at the track.  Linda and I are going out for steak tonite.  I doubt if I will be able to eat anything in the morning, so I will get charged up tonight. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...