Day 2

This image of me waiting in lane seven to run the 400 meter qualifier.  Sunny and warm with a persistent breeze down the finishing straight--in your face of course.  I made it thru-- got to the finals tomorrow in the 400!  I was eighth quick out of 25 runners with a time of 64.15 seconds.   I ran the 400 first and ran the 50 m later and did not qualify--more later on that.   I felt good in warm up and since I was in lane 7 with someone in lane 8, I had someone to pace me a little.  Yesterday, I really struggled in the last 50 meters of the 200 because I was used up and had nothing left-- a case of too much too quick.  I was not going to repeat that situation.     I ran my pace the first 200 and was really relaxed and had a really easy stride.  I felt like talking with the race marshals as I ran by them on the backstretch, I was relaxed!    I started to pick it up some on the final curve and someone passed me on the inside as they made up the stagger.  I could  see the time was still in the 40's as I completed 300 meters--I could recognize a 4, so I knew I was in the game.  I decided I needed to get 'the guy' that passed me and got him with 40 to go and finished strong with no breakdown.  Then I waited for 4 more heats to finish and I had just enough time to get in.     The final 4 qualifiers were from 63.60 to 64.15, so it looks like dandy race brewing tomorrow.   A couple of guys are just way ahead and I doubt I can challlenge them, but bad hammies and other injuries do happen.   But, I think we can have a brawl for fourth.  Should be a lot of fun.  

I missed out on the 50 meters, I ran mid pack with a 7.51 in my qualifier.  The elite runners were in the 6's and way gone for me to catch.   But I ran well and was catching the leaders at the end in my heat, I just have a miserable start in comparison and it kills my chances.  But it is still a lot of fun to just blast it up through there. 

Day 3, I will run the 400 final around 11 AM and also signed up for a 4 x 100 relay.  I do not know who is in the group, but I think it will fun to just have a 'play' race.   That will be one of the last events and is a great way to meet some fun people.  Plus hanging around, you get to watch the other races and they are generally pretty exciting.  We had some barnburners today.  

I had a chance to talk with people from all over the country and everyone is routing for one another. I makes the event very enjoyable to visit with people trying to be their best.  There are some rivalries among the elite runners, but that is their problem.   I try to be supportive and clap and yell for those really 'giving it' and still losing. Just 'give it' and we will cheer.   I also made sure I visited with everyone I knew from Tennessee to make sure they knew Linda and I were there yelling for them as well.

After I qualified in the 400--whew--it made the trip worth it.  If I had bombed out and  not made a finals, I would have been quite difficult to deal with, it would have really sucked.  But I made it in my marquis event, so to speak.   I was good in the quarter mile in high school and I guess some things just don't change that much.   I had no confidence I could make the finals when the day started.  But, after watching the times of the earlier heats, I knew I could have shot if I could just run my race.    And that is what happened, I ran my race.  Hopefully I can do it again in the finals tomorrow.  The confidence will be at a different level when we start tomorrow, plus several of the runners will have already ran some other finals in the morning.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joseph Ford III is a Wonderful Man

Enough!

First Time Ever?