Skip to main content

Gettin' Close

First race is this Saturday.  Not much time to get the body ready, but plenty to get the mind and gear ready.  The gear should take an hour or so to make sure I have everything I need plus spares-- in case of rain or damage--stuff does break.   Later this week I will lay out all my stuff and make sure I pack what I need to race.   The mind--that is a totally different matter.  

I am quite a bit more stable or confident after running on Sunday.  I did some starts with blocks and ran a couple of 50 meters at 98% with no problem with my leg.  The leg is healed up, but the mind still needs some convincing.  I guess I need to give it      " the talk".  I ran quite a bit of the workout at 85 to 90% and had no leg discomfort and felt pretty good about my speed.  The speed will be there, I just need to find a way to allow the body to take over and basically--'let it rip'.  I have no real injuries and need to be thankful that I am healthy.  Staying healthy is the biggest part of competing at 56 years old.     

Today I did my core work--which makes the lower abs stronger and prevents issues with a sports hernia-- an issue 3 years ago.  The core work I have been doing has kept it under control every since.   I also did some running to keep the conditioning up to snuff,  canned 3 gallons of tomatoes and also found some time to work!   In a couple of weeks, it will be chili time.  We don't have time right now to shell the beans for the chili and will allow them to get a little drier.   When we get the beans shelled, thaw out 8 pounds of venison, add the canned tomatoes and the  fresh picked onions-- we are in business--about 4 gallons of chili for the freezer.      I guess you would call this sustainable, but I like to call it "good" chili.  Put in the stuff you grow and it tastes great with low fat, high protein and none of the artificial food added.

I mentioned the mind control earlier and for example:  I can be sitting in a room with nothing going on and start to think about racing and the heart rate can go from 80 to 130  and back in a few minutes.  Just thinking about racing drives my heart rate nuts.   Over the years,  I have worked at  keeping my heart rate under control when getting close to big events.   Otherwise I am standing at the starting line with my heart rate at 145.  Way too high to start a race--you have to relax.    Top priority the next couple of days is to make sure my mind responds to what I want and need--not going off willy nilly and running a race and driving me nuts and burning a lot of energy on fantasy.  Sounds crazy, but it is real and something I will fight everyday leading up to race time.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Setbacks

Setbacks are part of life and we generally have no choice but to accept them in style.  I was in Wisconsin this week presenting some material to a large group of tissue makers.  Normally, you are subjected to hotel food and eating in groups.    I try as much as I can to be strict on my diet due to my garlic allergy and restrictions from gout when traveling.  I must have either goofed up or had something slip by, but I got a major case of food poisoning Monday night.  As I get older, the food poisoning symptoms and reaction becomes more severe and lingers much longer.   I got sick--the messy part- Monday night late and was finished with that deal by Tuesday morning.  But all day Tuesday and into Wednesday my body was trashed.  Tuesday was stay in bed basically all day.  I did leave the hotel twice for visits to the local store for some food and liquids.  Getting out of bed and to the car was a major task and quite le...

Race Day Again

Finally, we get to race again! As many of you know, I was injured last April 4, 2024. I had a disk at L4 vertebra collapse and pinch a nerve in my back that caused over half of my lower leg strenth to disappear. I had a lot of atrophy in my right leg quad and I have been recovering ever since. I am close to 100% on strength and the right leg looks like it is very close to normal size again, but it has been a battle. I have been working in the gym, doing pilates again and also running. All of these things must be done in balance so you can get the proper rest and recover. I still do full body massages every two weeks and I also have been working with a Cox Technique Chiro since the injury on a weekly or biweekly basis. The chiro has gotten me stretched back out and the pressure off the nerve, that treatment has been the real source of healing in my opinion. MY normal doctor was not any help, but this is not what normal doctors do--naturally healing. The first meet of 202...

First Time Ever?

Things are just a little crazy with the chaos associated with the coronavirus and the global reaction.   Talking with my wife and brother, as well as the rest of the world that will still chat with you, nobody can remember anything quite like this situation.   The crash into the Twin Towers on 9-11 had some elements of the situation, but the total shutdown of sporting events, meetings, global travel and the run on water, sanitizer and toilet paper is just totally new to us.  The Master Indoors meet was cancelled this week, I was not planning on going this year.   I am in the middle of relocation from Nashville to Harper Ferry , West Virginia.  On March 31 we will close on the Brentwood house and close on the new place on April 2.   Getting this into place has been a real battle, but it is going to happen.    We are on our third contract for the Brentwood house and after trying to sell it for 9 or 10 months it will close this ...